Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is anyone else bitter about work? 37

Status
Not open for further replies.

shadow401

Civil/Environmental
May 3, 2008
US
I don’t know if it’s the engineering field, Corporate America, or just me but does anyone really love being an engineer anymore? Sure, it pays the bills but is anyone actually excited to show up to work in the morning?

Most of the people I work with have become cynical and are more interested in making themselves look good then completing a project. Engineers, developers, government agencies, inspectors, contractor, and sub-contractors are all on different teams and only looking out for their own interests. Even within my own company different departments try to push each other down to appear more profitable. Lazy employees get promoted over hard working employees and it feels like some fundamental rule that we learned in kindergarten about being fair and doing what’s right has been lost. I used to love the though of becoming an engineer but after 7 years of the real world, I just don’t care anymore. Am I alone?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hey, I am passionate *and* bitter. I'd be less bitter if I weren't passionate, because then I just wouldn't give a crap.

Hg

Eng-Tips policies: faq731-376

As someone mentioned, I think it is a "grass is always greener on the other side" case. It applies to all aspects of life too, even where you live. I was unemployed for a long time before finally working again, and now I sometimes find myself remincing about my unemployed time (because of all the time I had to do stuff I like, yet while I was unemployed I was longing to work and envied those who had any job. I also sometimes look at people who are in less stressful, less demanding jobs that pay more, and wish I had their jobs, yet I know if I did I would look back and wished I had my curent job lol.

It applies to all aspects of life because in everything you do there are pros and cons about your position.Nothing in this materialistic world we live in can truly be satisfying.

And don't forget that not everyone is suited for every job. While we might envy the salaries that surgeons get, their actual professional lives can be quite limited, due to physical limitations that might not even be noticeable to us.

Additionally, it's not uncommon for surgeons to not even start earning serious money into their 30s: 4 yrs college, 4 yrs medical school, 7 yrs residency, 2 yrs fellowship = 35 yrs old when they actually start in a practice. And while they do exceedingly well from then on, they pay high malpractice insurance, and usually feed a literal truckload of support staff. The last time I had a surgery, the two surgeons in the office had a support staff of about 15 people.

TTFN

FAQ731-376

Very true IRstuff. My dad's a doctor and some of the stuff he does like operating in people's bums makes me happy I'm not him although he makes (or made as he is semi retired) some insane money. Thwere is stress in everything and often times that leads one to become bitter.

Heck it wasn't that long ago when I was in school and I was longing for the day that I would work, make good money, and not always have to take my work home with me. Now that I am working I miss school and the days of having fun with friends, not always having to go to classes, and attending classes for well below 8 hours a day lol!

Wow, can't believe I just saw this thread. Seems to have been very active.

I know I was much more bitter when I was unemployed than I am now.

MaterialsDude - you are certianly right about the grass being greener. I think it's just part of the Human Condition.

Remember folks, there's always someone out there who has it harder than you! Chin up!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back