Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is ChasBean capable of the HVAC PE exam? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChasBean1

Mechanical
Jun 8, 2001
US
Quick vent: I’ve been on this site since the dark ages although I haven’t posted anything in a while. I’ve developed good (but never-met) friends: Quark, Imok, MintJulep, Liliput, Abby, SAK9, IRStuff, etc.. - you all know who you are.

I’m two weeks away from an HVAC PE exam and have been doing practice tests. Gosh darn. I’m f’d. I have (what I used to believe) to be a very strong working knowledge of HVAC but a poor and faded academic knowledge of it.

G.D. COPs of ammonia refrigeration cycles. Isentropic compression. Q = UA dT across G.D. walls. What's the f'ing temperature at Surface C. F’ing NPSHa vs. NPSHr calcs…

Lord help me. I should’ve taken this test a while ago…

Vent over. Respect to all! -CB

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There are two different Lindeburg practice tests from what I remember. One is overly easy, and one is overly difficult. So hopefully the one you took was the unnecessarily difficult one.

Good luck

It has been almost 20 years since I took it, but I agree with Willard3. The 1st part was all general science/engineering questions. The second part was discipline-specific. I would assume based on this forum that you would choose the HVAC discipline. I believe the other choices were thermodynamics/heat transfer and machine design.

At the time I took the exam in Illinois, you could bring in text books. I don't know if that is still the case or not. Maybe I'm thinking of the FE exam, but I remember bringing in more books than I could carry; although, I think I only actually opened my general physics book. That probably was the FE exam while everything was still fresh on my mind.

Just get a good study guide and work through it to prepare.

If it is any encouragement I passed the Mechanical Engineering exam, and I don't have an ME degree. I have BS and MS degrees in Nuclear Engineering but couldn't find the right job in that field. I stumbled into a mechanical/electrical contractor/engineering firm because their logo looked like an Atom (so I thought it might be nuclear). Out of desperation, I took a job with them as a mechanical engineer. I had vague concepts of boilers and cooling towers from my nuclear engineering classes, but I had no clue what a chiller was when I first started. I learned it all on the job those first few years, and I passed the HVAC PE exam having never taken an actual college HVAC course.

You can do it!

I would forgo the HVAC discipline and take the mechanical engineering PE exam which allows you to select different problem in part II. Part I is all fundamental engineering questions at least that was it was back in the 1970's when I took the tests.

Took it. Passed it? Who knows. The AM test and the PM test were equally hard. I had a harder time with the PM test due to diminishing brain function. 40 problems in each session. Turns out to be 6 minutes per problem. For any of the 6 minute problems, (if this were the real world) as a consultant, I'd spend half a day making sure I had the right solution. For the test, you gotta figure out a goddamn ice rink refrigeration load in 6 minutes. Out of this, I hope I'll become a Professional Engineer vs. a Pathetic Engineer (either I suppose would say PE on my card).

2h6d1fk.gif
s1i9so.gif
2h6d1fk.gif

Keith Cress
kcress -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back