Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Is having a criminal history an issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

najanaja

Civil/Environmental
Feb 23, 2011
US
Hello, I am a freshman working towards a BS in civil. I am really focused and excited about my studies. My problem is four years ago I got drunk and ended up in an old shut down warehouse with a couple friends. Somebody called the police, and I ended up being convicted of burglary and criminal mischief (both felonies). Its the first and only time I've ever done anything like that. Will this affect me getting a job? I know I cant get security clearance, and probably not get into Canada. Any input would be more that appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks for the reply Ron. I live in Oregon, and I can get a PE here, but not in Washington. Are there other areas within engineering where having a criminal history might not be a deal breaker? You mentioned civil specifically, what about mechanical? Thanks again

I had to take my Florida Law and Rules refresher course yesterday. So I have the regulations in a searchable format. What it says is that applicants need to be of "good moral character." Plus any lack of moral character must be connected with the practice of engineering to refuse certification. There is nothing specific about felony or misdemeanor convictions.
You're a freshman now and the "incident" is four years behind you. By the time you graduate and are eligible for licensure it will be about 12 years past. So it will be old news. When it's time to apply they ask you about it on the application. You answer yes and explain what happened. If your record is clean from then until you apply, I suspect that they will be forgiving. I know it's a big gamble, but everyone makes mistakes, especially in their youth.

Thats kind of what I was hoping to here Jed. The Oregon rules for licensing ask if you have committed any crimes relating to engineering. Usually an application ask if you have been convicted in the last 7 or 10 years, so I might still be in the good. Thanks again.

Hokie66- I can't. The DA told me that if I pled insanity I would not have to go to jail, and I guess being young and drunk makes you crazy in Oregon. For what ever reason when you plead insanity you cannot get it expunged. I'm not happy about that, or crap I have had to go through. Do you crime you pay the time I guess.

You have been given advice that a plea of insanity takes away the possibility of expungement. The advice may be incorrect or outdated.

On a previous job, one guy was walked out after a couple of days because he "forgot" to mention his armed robbery conviction. A bit more serious than the OPs conviction, but he may have had a chance to get the job, and keep it, if he had been honest in his application. The history is an issue, not listing it is more of one.

Peter Stockhausen
Senior Design Analyst (Checker)
Infotech Aerospace Services

A criminal record does not necessarily prevent you from getting a clearance (Department of Defense, naj), it depends upon the offense. Armed robbery would probably be a non-starter, but criminal mischief may or may not get you there... what Class was the felony? If it was a misdemeanor I would say no problem (with explanation), but a felony means you guys did some serious damage while you were in that warehouse. Without proof that you were not really involved in much of that damage, it speaks to your character and will make it difficult to get a clearance.

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

Were you convicted as an adult or as a juvenile. In some states, juvenile convictions are not available, and the only thing anyone can learn is the simple fact that you have a record as a juvenile.

If you behave for a few years, you may be able to have your record expunged.

I was an adult when I was convicted, and they are both class C felonies. I contacted an lawyer about the expungement thing, and he verified that in this state (Oregon) it is not aloud. Its really a dumb rule. But they are property crimes, nobody got hurt and nothing was stolen. So basically I should be fine (given its been years with no other problems and I did not kill anyone), I just cant work for or contract to the government? Thanks for the input guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back