Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Is it worth replacing a globe valve with a ball valve for my main shutoff?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piet Freek

Industrial
Nov 25, 2019
NL
For a system I am working on currently a globe valve is being used; I have got an offer to replace them with simalar spec ball valves; is it worth replacing?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

That's up to you or whoever makes the process decisions at your facility. Globes are typically used for throttle service, so if it's just being used as a shutoff valve (on/off) it may be able to be replaced with a cheaper valve. You'll have to look into the service requirements and ensure the ball valves are adequate for that service.

I agree with RVAmeche

If your duty is throttling / opening or closing under pressure or flowing conditions then no.

If your dutiy is simple isolation then probably yes.

If your duty is a domestic water tap then its up to you. Globe valves need more turns to open and close, but you can add more torque to "seal", ball valves are quarter turn but if it leaks there's not much you can do about it.

About 10% of the information supplied to offer much else.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

If you are the Owner, the question is why you want to change the valve if the current globe valve is working and nothing wrong with it.

If you are not the Owner, the question above is applied too.

Piet Freek,
You have left out some important information:
- Valve size?
- Frequency of use?
- System Design Pressure?
- Service/Commodity?
- Piping System Material?
- Etc?

Sometimes its possible to do all the right things and still get bad results

I dont think Piet Freek (which is a Dutch name btw) will return. The day he registered is the last day he was online, 5 days ago. Tameson disappeared after his dubious replies (which may very well be linked to PF), so better don’t put any effort in PietFreek until he returns, and turns out to be real.

a globe valve can be reseated or rebuilt in place, while a ball valve usually needs to have the entier valve replaced.

"...when logic, and proportion, have fallen, sloppy dead..." Grace Slick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back