Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Is Posting Dilbert Cartoons Ethical? 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haf

Mechanical
Nov 6, 2001
US
Starting a few months ago, someone has been posting Dilbert cartoons in the men's restrooms in our building. I'm a big Dilbert fan and found the cartoons very funny. In fact, I still laugh when I re-read some of them for the 50th time.

One of the recent postings hit a little too close to home for our management. In fact, the cartoon was altered so that it was directly applicable to recent management actions. The cartoon was quickly removed by our management (I never even saw it), with a warning to boot. The specific concern was that the cartoon would portray a bad image to outsiders that visited our facility, especially to outsiders that are aware of these recent management actions. It is notable that all of the other cartoons were left in place.

This incident got me thinking - Is anonomously posting cartoons in public areas at work ethical? Does it depend on the cartoon and/or the motive?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

My 2 cents - I would say in that case, it was the editing that caused the problem, not the cartoon itself.

I personally see no problems with posting cartoons on bulletin boards, it lightens things up. We've become so politically correct it's ridiculous.

Greg Lamberson, BS, MBA
Consultant - Upstream Energy

My additional 2 cents - If an unadulterated cartoon upsets your management, it's their problem. The cartoon itself is public property. If it for some reason rings true with the employees, clients needn't know. If it's been modified, that's an indication that things smell.

Cartoons are fine. Edited ones are not.
I'd say the edited cartoon is the equivalent of putting up a sign ridiculing management. It's not appropriate (but definitely not unethical).
If someone really has an issue, there are proper channels.

-
Aercoustics.com

Edited cartoons are like graffiti. Unedited cartoons are a sign that the management either has a sense of humor or believes that their company isn't reflected in the cartoons, which might be a positive point to outsiders, or not, if the outsiders see otherwise.

TTFN

FAQ731-376

The cartoon itself is public property.

Uhm, actually typically the cartoon is NOT public property, so technically posting a photocopy of a cartoon (rather than a paid for copy) would be breaking copyright... which might be then considered 'unethical'.

SLH
who admits to having a copy of a cartoon on her wall, but maybe should take it down.

1st Amendment?

Although as it's a private entity, not goverment making these rules maybe not.

Plus you didn't say US.

KENAT, probably the least qualified checker you'll ever meet...

Actually thinking about it. If I've paid for a newspaper, it's mine. I can cut bits out to decorate my cube as I see fit. Or my bog. Who mentioned photocopies? Now that would be illegal.

What makes the Dilbert series of cartoons so good is that they do reflect the latest management fashions, buzzwords, trendy trends and so on.

It should shock management to recognise themselves in the normal published cartoons, let alone one that's probably been mildly edited to make someone or something a little more like a particular person or company.

Praise the day when your management team does not sound or behave like Dilbert's bosses. Then there's a chance that they could be the enlightened manager's that will save us all.

Bill

Is it ethical? Yes - of course. And, there's the free-speech rights issue as well.

However, is it politically correct (from the company politics standpoint). Apparently no – at least for that company’s environment. Company politics/atmosphere is something one has to always be sensitive to. In the US, most engineers are "at will" employees. I've seen employees fired for far-far-far less than a cartoon.

In some companies even ethics violations may even get you promoted! But in ALL companies, political violations can get you fired.

So where does altering a copy of a legally purchased comic strip fit in?

I don't think it's illegal.

I also don't think there's anything less ethical about mocking management with an adulterated comic strip than mocking management with an unadulterated comic strip, if the unadulterated comic strip happens to be sufficiently painfully obvious. It's the overt mocking of management (made more overt by altering the cartoon) in a public place that's not ethical, not the altering of the cartoon ("What? You thought that cartoon was relevant to our situation? Really? I just thought it was funny in a generic way!") per se.

Hg

Eng-Tips policies: faq731-376

It's not illegal; it falls under "fair use" doctrines of copyright law, just like making a single copy for personal use/entertainment.

However, marking up a cartoon is editorial in nature, and reflects the marker-upper's personal views and opinions, and as such, does not belong in the bathroom, unless there is a specific area apportioned for this type of posting. Generally, this is not necessarily a good thing, since rants often get out of hand.

Posting the original cartoon is more of a neutral situation, since there is no editorial view being reflected, other than in the choice of a particular strip being posted. Since intent cannot be overtly discerned, there should be less of an issue, other than demonstrating that management's sense of humor, or lack, thereof.

TTFN

FAQ731-376

It's not illegal. It's not unethical. It's just stupid. Sure, the strip may be funny and true, but the people being ridiculed are the same ones that sign the checks.

FWIW I think management sent the right message by leaving the other strips.

-b

Yeah, at least they left the other ones up.

We had to tidy our office a few weeks ago (new CEO) and a lot of very amusing, and painfully astute/accurate/poignant, Dilbert cartoons got pulled down.

I have the 2007 tear off Calendar. I have almost 8 months worth of strips to put up. I'm just not sure it's a good career move.;-)

I hate to sound like management and I do note that I'm a big fan of Dilbert but....

While the cartoon itself is published for entertainment and can be used with due respect to the copyright laws, the office you work in is not a public place per se. It is space owned or leased by a corporation for a specific purpose (make money? aggravate cubicles guys like me?). Thus entitling the corporation to make and issue regulations as they see fit.

We wouldn't bring a can of spray paint to work and mar the walls with "Morons work here" and expect the company to like our freedom of speech/expression. Why would we expect them to be remotely agreeable to an ill-timed cartoon?

Just another side of the coin to consider...

Regards,
Qshake
[pipe]
Eng-Tips Forums:Real Solutions for Real Problems Really Quick.

You mean I need to take the paint back?

Qshake does have a point, and I'm not remotely surprised management acted this way and not sure it's exactly wrong.

However, isn't it almost Dilbert managementesque to react to a Dilbert cartoon in this way?

I suspect Catbert is already planning the appropriate action.

The first Dilbert cartoon that ever got posted in my cube (about an infuriating raise situation) was handed to me by my boss.

I have a feeling that if I were to have found it myself and posted it now, in the current climate surrounding me, I'd get written up for violence in the workplace for bringing up the words "must...control fist...of death".

Hg

Eng-Tips policies: faq731-376

I have about 12 Dilbert Cartoons in a stack on one of my desk. People quite often come in to ask me about something and will read them while they are there.

Of course I have not put any in there that directly make fun of an individual or the upper management.

It's funny because the one's that are kind of vague, most people automatically assume it is about somebody else in the company.

There have been some that are so tempting to post up on the wall, yet I have to refrain. As Qshake said, this is a place of business.

Zuccus

I agree with Qshake.

Sometimes I think Scott Adams works in my office, or at least he has the place bugged. It's uncanny how things that go on in this company often show up in Dilbert a day or two later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back