Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Is Posting Dilbert Cartoons Ethical? 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haf

Mechanical
Nov 6, 2001
US
Starting a few months ago, someone has been posting Dilbert cartoons in the men's restrooms in our building. I'm a big Dilbert fan and found the cartoons very funny. In fact, I still laugh when I re-read some of them for the 50th time.

One of the recent postings hit a little too close to home for our management. In fact, the cartoon was altered so that it was directly applicable to recent management actions. The cartoon was quickly removed by our management (I never even saw it), with a warning to boot. The specific concern was that the cartoon would portray a bad image to outsiders that visited our facility, especially to outsiders that are aware of these recent management actions. It is notable that all of the other cartoons were left in place.

This incident got me thinking - Is anonomously posting cartoons in public areas at work ethical? Does it depend on the cartoon and/or the motive?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Jumping back to Haf's original post. If there is an employee handbook etc, I would check it to see if there was a policy about posting items in "public" areas. Where I work we have leeway to personalize our offices and there are select locations for posting things internally. If there is no policy, I would not think it unethical (currently) to do postings. Management may well end up establishing a policy and at that point, I would think it unethical to go against it.

Being in a corporation or office environment is not (my opinion) part of the public domain in a true sense. You are constrained by the employer/employee relationship.

That said, I am also a Dilbert Fan. I also had a Doonsbury cartoon (misplaced in my last office move), that had a couple of parent's talking about job stability and the one mentioning that his kid had outsourced his own job and was looking to moonlight. I would be tempted to scan and post it here (should I find it again), but that would likely go against copyright laws.

Regards,

Interestingly enough, my own employer (the Fraud Munter Co) also went through a miserable phase of blocking Dilbert. And then, miraculously, relented.

Whether this renewed access was the action of a renegade IT person or actual reversal of Company policy I can't say.

Bill

i found another way to read them, google image, then save the thumb to my desk top and then zoom in. hehe

so basically by blocking dilbert they are increasing the time I waste trying to read it. and increasing the chance I get a virus...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back