Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

is Proe NC machining reliable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pascual

Mechanical
Jul 19, 2002
ES
I've had some troubles with the NC machining. The toolpath generated by proe is not correct. I mean some times then the tool finish a slice it pass throw the model to start the next slice so it tries to cut the part where it has a lot of material. The result is a broken mill and deformation in the part.

The verification does not detect it. I have to simulate every machining but some times I don't appreciate the details, for example squares. Proe didn't gave me any solution.

does any one has the same problem? have you any solution?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I've been thinking in buying another CAM. I'd like to know if there are more people with my problem or using proe and an independant CAM. I know power mill and cam 3d. They tow seem be very powerfull but I don't know the troubles they can have.

I have used NC machining in Pro/E quite a lot and never had problems like this. I like that I can use same tool for modeling and NC which makes the modifications easy. Have you checked all settings are coorect? There are lot of other CAM tools that may be better but then you loose the advantage of using only one tool.

I also think that having only one program for CADCAM is a good idea but it's more important the accuracy.

I've tried to change some settings but I think that a bad configuration don't justify the tool passes throw the part. And I called the proe service and they told me that certain machining options have bad results. For example, constant load option has to be verified every time because good connections between slices are not guaranteed. The local milling takes hours to calculate where other programs take secons (and more efficently).

My impression is that ptc is behind in CAM than others programs and their product is not bug free.

You may be right. I use proe CAM only occasionally for making models and tools so perhaps I've just been lucky not to have any problems during these four years of experience. And because the CAD/CAM program I used before was so unflexible and full of bugs proe feels much better.

I believe GibbsCam just added a Pro-E import, the only thing i cannot say for certain is that it will keep associativity with the model. I have used the Solidworks addin for it and it would keep associativity with the part and changes to the part would automatically be reflected in toolpath changes. I hope that helps.

Pascual,
Do not allow 'G0' RAPID below safe retract plane. Set parameters 'free-feed' and 'retract' to 100. The NC machine control determines most efficient 'G0' path. I think this is standard in most CNC mills. 'G0' moves in the desired direction but locks onto each axis as the path intersects them...not a straight line. 'G1' is a vector to the programed point as expected by Pro.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back