Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Is S 275 JR suitable to be used as Construction Material for Pressure Vessel with steam as a medium?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AAA89

Mechanical
May 5, 2021
MY
Hi,

I would like to know whether material S 275 JR is suitable to be used as construction material for Unfired Pressure Vessel with steam as a medium? For main pressure part like Shell and Head.

I heard somewhere that there is an incident related to material S 275 JR used as a construction material for steam pressure vessel. No detail explanation regarding on that incident that I can found on the internet. Maybe you guys had heard about it somewhere?.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,

From what I found, the equivalent ASME spec. is ASME SA-1011 which can't be used as construction material for ASME (U-Stamped) pressure vessels

HI IdanPV,

May I know exactly where I can refer regarding on ASME SA-1011 can't be used as construction material? Thank you in advance for your reply

Per ASME SECTION VIII Division 1 UCS-5(a):
"All carbon and low alloy steel material subject to stress due to pressure shall conform to one of the Specifications given in Section II and shall be limited to those listed in Table UCS-23"

What design code do you apply?

In general I'd say that any S-material, for EN design codes, cant be used for pressure applications. S-materials, in contrast to P-materials, dont have guaranteed material characteristics (like yield and tensile) at elevated temperature. So if you need a pressure vessel material in a 275 grade, use P275 or something similar (afaik, P275 doesnt exist, so youll likely end up with P285 or P235).
Some EN materials are listed for use under VIII-1, as IdanPV mentioned refer to the applicable code section.

Huub
- You never get what you expect, you only get what you inspect.

Hi XL83NL,

I used ASME code. Usually we refer to Material Comparison Table for non-ASME material if to be used for construction. However S275JR usually will be compare to SA-36 but only can be used for non pressure part or pressure part only if the medium of the vessel is other than steam.

But as IdanPV stated that if S275JR to be equivalent to SA-1011, then it cannot be used for construction per stated in ASME code.

In one country the usage of EN10025 S275JR for PV pressure part is already forbidden. I have seen a steam service pressure vessel build using JISG3101 SS400 that already in service for 30++ years and still working fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back