Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Issue with a co-worker 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

wes616

Aerospace
Mar 19, 2005
US
My company is in the process of migrating from 2D CAD to 3D CAD. As such, we have a number of drafters that are, for the most part working on legacy drawings. All of our new work is using the 3D. As such we are trying to transition our older designers over to using 3D. Some are more resistant than other. One in particular, seemed to embrace this "new" technology earlier that some of the others, and has now found his way onto a new product team. He however, has not gotten to the point of being productive beyond making detail drawings. He is detailing the parts that I am designing, and therefor I am responsible for signing off on his work.

Now I am sensitive to the fact that I am 20+ years younger than my co-worker that is now working for me. I try and give him room to figure things out, and when I talk to him I try and do so in a manner that is not going to hurt his pride or ego. I try and make suggestions more than make demands, etc etc etc. This person refuses to give me the same consiteration. He uses every chance he gets to belittle me in front of the other drafters in our drafting room. I have asked him to make his drawing a certain way, and he love to tell me, loudly, how I am doing it WRONG! However, when I go to our DRM and actually look, HE is the one doing the wrong thing. PLUS, I am asking him to do things TO OUR CUSTOMERS REQUIREMETS and request. I have tried explaining both of these things to him in a very quiet and polite manner. This was just responded to by a very loud and defiant, I'VE BEEN DOING THIS SINCE BEFORE YOU WERE BORN. I am now at my witts end. None of the other engineers here will work with him in any sort of intimate manner. I am (was) the only one.

On top of this, the Engineer Manager "freaked out" yesterday, that he was NOT working on my project, but on one of the lower priority legacy projects. This, honestly was because I had no drawings to give him because I was in the midst of a design (in 3D) for the next step in my project. I tried explaining the situation (both the attitude and actual work) to my boss, but this guy has convinced our boss that we (all 5 engineers here) have bad attitudes toward him, and because of that we never give him any work.

Well I now know why others give him NO work, but I must, OR ELSE.

How do I talk to this guy and get him to do the things that I need him to do, with his attitude about me? Any ideas would be much appriciated.

Wes C.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Wes,

I know that a company by the name of M7 Aerospace (formerly Fairchild) has recently (announced today in the business section of the local paper) been granted approval to convert ATR 72 turboprops into cargo planes for FedEx. They are also converting smaller ATR 42 turboprops into cargo planes This may be a good opportunity to get in there. It is located at the San Antonio airport.

I work in Boerne, and it is a very pleasant place to be.

Eric

Thanks for the tip Eric... My wife's family owns a ranch out in Real County, and we come through Boerne on the way out there. It is a really nice place. I love it there... I am jealous!

Wes C.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back