Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

It appears that the Chinese caught a sub in one of their 'anti-submarine nets'... 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnRBaker

Mechanical
Jun 1, 2006
US
...only it was one of theirs:

55 Chinese sailors in submarine feared dead 'caught in trap' meant to snare UK and US

Up to 55 sailors are feared to have died in their submarine in the Yellow Sea, but China has issued a flat denial about the tragedy.

It was probably best that the captain was one of those who were lost.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:

The secret of life is not finding someone to live with
It's finding someone you can't live without

Not exactly my field, but the details sound pretty fishy. A nuclear sub with malfunctioning air supply that kills some or all of the crew after 6 hours? And that just HAPPENS to occur when they run into some kind of anti-submarine obstacle?
Presumably there were other crew that survived? Presumably, the crew communicated the problem prior to the deaths?
"took six hours to repair and surface the vessel", so it sounds like they DID repair and surface the vessel?

I don't trust info coming out of China or about China, anymore, and try to confirm anything. You have no idea of any 'twists' there are to it. It's not just China, it's government related stuff in general.

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

GregLocock said:
It is certainly not obvious why a sub that can be deployed for 3 months underwater would kill its crew while trapped for 6 hours.

On the face of it, yeah, just being entangled shouldn't take out their air scrubber plant, but the devil is in the details. If there was some sort of power failure which led to the entanglement, maybe they had a widespread systems failure. Alternatively, if the propeller got entangled and blew the main electrical panels rather than just tripping overload protection, that could possibly cause wider problems. Did one of those things cause a reactor SCRAM? It takes time to get a reactor back online after a SCRAM, and may require sufficient time for the Xenon-135 to decay (half life 9.2 hours, but it continues to be generated after a SCRAM from Iodine-135 decay (half life 6.5 hours)). A scenario where the propeller gets entangled, followed by a reactor SCRAM, could put them on battery power and in a very precarious position if unable to surface.

Pure guesswork, and I'm neither a reactor technician nor familiar with the reactors used in the Chinese subs.

You had me believing! [santa]
Tom Clancy couldn't have done any better.

--Einstein gave the same test to students every year. When asked why he would do something like that, "Because the answers had changed."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back