Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Items UG needs to fix!! 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

HellBent

Automotive
Sep 29, 2002
US
I just posted in another thread how I'm always telling myself I need to write down the minor "annoyances" I have to deal with everyday while running UG but I just never seem to do it. For some reason I think having a thread dedicated to just that may help. At some point maybe these items will get the attention they deserve by UG. So I'll start it off with a couple that immediately come to mind:

#1. Fix the darn 2d translators!! Why does making a DXF or a DWG of my drawing have to be so difficult? It has never worked right! Why am I forced to run it through CGM in order to get reliable results?

#2. Let me fix errors during feature creation rather than having to start all over again. I.E. "Through curve mesh" intersection errors force me to fix the intersections and then start all over again. Let me edit the intersections from within the creation menu so I don't have to re-select all of my geometry again! Apply this mentality to all feature creation...give me the ability to fix mistakes on-the-fly.

I think I'll be more likely to add items to a thread on a message board than write them down on a notepad so let's give it a shot!

Take care...

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

When I export stuff, I make sure the WCS is set to absolute in both the 'from' part and the 'to' part. Otherwise, it seems to think you want to do a 'reposition' as you export. Occasionally I can use the 'reposition as you export' to my advantage, but in most cases I would rather it just exports it based on the absolute CS.

I'm running NX2.

vericut access may also be tied to the mfg bundle, so even with extra Ufunc licenses, you still cannot get to the interface module.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli
Sr IS Technologist
L-3 Communications

Exporting from one part to another does indeed require having both WCS's at the same position to not move the object's original position. However, even after doing this the move is not always guarenteed. If we had assemblies for every seat this problem would go away I'm sure.

As for the UG/Vericut interface, they are sending me a trial license tomorrow after the conversation I had with them today. They didn't seem to think it should be required to have a bundle for it to work. I'll let you know what the final outcome is.

I would suggest that any issue that you have with respect to any UGS software not working in a certain manner because you had expected it to work that way, either because it seemed only logical or you were informed that it would work that way in the documentation, should be brought to the attention of the GTAC organization. This is the only OFFICIAL mechanism for reporting problems and getting them resolved.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product "Evangelist"
NX Product Line
UGS Corp
Cypress, CA

I'm still waiting for the license file to use the extra 2 UNFUNC licenses for the first time since we purchased and starting paying maintenance on them when V16 went live. I've talked to UG help direct which tossed me back to the licensing reps, and have yet to get this issue resolved. Once they find out we're not interested in buying Mach bundles to fix the situation they never follow through with the promise of making good on the floating licenses we bought. That's as official as I can give you about the license service without mentioning names.

As for the programming issues on your end, I've called support on most all of the ones I mentioned in my detailed post. None have been adressed up as far as NX2. Not one in over 7 years of usage, 6 seats in house, and 2 OS platforms.

All that aside, I would like to say that it's good to hear from a UG Dev. Thank you for not only reading what I said, but posting a response. I'm so used to UG that I don't want to leave it, and have been a key part in keeping it going at my company while native Catia is such a prevalent entity.

I would just like to see your software be all it can be. I realize my problems are small in the grand scheme of things, but as a daily user it's what I need to be more productive.

Dawson70, if you'll e-mail me some details of your situation (location and/or server ID) I'll try and see why you have never gotten a proper license file for software that, if I understand you correctly, you've been paying maintenace on for several years.

As for you list of issues, the last one has been hashed over for years, but I have to say that when I attended engineering school, the round-off rules that I was taught were exactly the same as we have implemented them in UG/NX. Note that this is in accordance with international standards as well, as in this example taken from the web:

The following is a Copy from IEEE/ASTM SI 10-1997 Paragraph B.6 Page 54.

When rounding to fewer digits than the total number available, proceed as follows:

a) If the first digit discarded is less than 5, do not change the last digit retained. For example, 3.46325, if rounded to three digits, would be 3.463; if rounded to two digits, 3.46.

b) If the first digit discarded is greater than 5, or if it is a 5 followed by at least one digit other than 0, increase the last digit retained by one unit. For example 8.37652, if rounded to three digits, would be 8.377; if rounded to two digits, 8.38.

c) If the digit discarded is exactly 5, followed only by zeros, round the last digit retained upward if it is an odd number, but make no adjustment if it is an even number. For example, 4.365, when rounded to two digits, becomes 4.36. The number 4.355 would also round to the same value, 4.36, if rounded to two digits.

For the complete web item that this was taken from, go to:

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product "Evangelist"
NX Product Line
UGS Corp
Cypress, CA

That may be the rule, but it can still use fully 1/3rd of 2 place +/-.030 tolerance where the straight forward act of rounding up when ending in a 5 would not. I now dimension +/-.030 with 4 place decimals to avoid the rounding error. I found it a few years back when 2 holes were to be 4.00 apart, and wouldn't bolt up.

I mentioned the drafting one only because I was running out of ideas. What I'd really love to see is the multiple holes in one step feature. I have requested this one to the help line more than once in the last 7 years. Every time a new version comes out I load it and check that first only to be disappointed.

Another thing I asked for was to be able to change the placement method via the ugenglish file or modeling. I haven't used the default setting (point on line?) a single time, but have had to toggle off it to use point on point for every single hole I've ever made. I'm guessing in the 10's of thousands at this point. If mulitple holes at once in an irregular pattern isn't a possibility, then this should be doable. Also, please change middle mouse back to apply for this one operation. It would save a ton of mouse movements with no real purpose. Hitting the ok button once after 100 holes is nothing vs chasing apply 100 times.

I know this change was made to standardize the ok/apply middle mouse according to the help line. I also know of quite a few operations where it still is apply. I won't tell you which ones in the hopes that they won't get changed also.[wink]

Follow up on the license problems for Mr. Baker:

We finally got the UNFUNC licenses worked out today and it's great not having to play "toss the bundle" hourly after so many years!

Now if you could get some features changed in NX2 like I've mentioned I'd be a happy camper.[bigsmile]

NX2 won't be changing. Changes will be seen when you upgrade to NX4.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli
Sr IS Technologist
L-3 Communications

Hello Ben,

I loaded NX4 a few months ago, and checked my list against the new version. None have been addressed, and after seeing the fundamental changes in the UI I've warned my fellow programmers and designers against upgrading from NX2. We're too busy right now to figure out all the old and new commands from scratch again.

It's almost required to pay for training like when V18 came out. The buttons have all changed, and now there is a Start button like Catia. Please don't adopt their tree system. The layer style you utilize now is far easier for me to manage.

This one aways kills me. When you go to edit some features, why doesn't the same interface show up as when you first created the feature?

Also, some of the original options are greyed out when you edit! For example, when I edit a trimmed sheet, it won't allow me to change the original target sheet.

So annoying!!

phbalance,

This has been addressed in NX5. I tested with 2 different sheet bodies and 1 curve that intersected both sheets. I trimmed the first sheet to the curve, then used Edit with Rollback and de-selected the 1st sheet and then selected the 2nd sheet as the sheet to be trimmed with the curve and all worked fine.

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

Cadwhore, do you really think Solidworks is as robust as NX is?

Why haven't the OEM's switched over to Solidworks then if it's a better system?

Justin Ackley
Designer
jackley@gmail.com

I'm a new grad and new to UG (I used ProE for my undergrad)

It it just me or is there no REDO. I've gotten so gunshy of using the UNDO in case I forget and go one too far and 'undo' an intricate sketch or something.

I would love to see a REDO to go along with the UNDO.

aerologan,

Which version of NX are you running?

I know that in NX4, you have the ability to perform a redo in the sketcher.

Also, as John Baker demonstrated this past Tuesday, as well as this morning, Redo has been introduced into Modelling in NX5.

I don't know if this helps...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back