Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Items UG needs to fix!! 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

HellBent

Automotive
Sep 29, 2002
US
I just posted in another thread how I'm always telling myself I need to write down the minor "annoyances" I have to deal with everyday while running UG but I just never seem to do it. For some reason I think having a thread dedicated to just that may help. At some point maybe these items will get the attention they deserve by UG. So I'll start it off with a couple that immediately come to mind:

#1. Fix the darn 2d translators!! Why does making a DXF or a DWG of my drawing have to be so difficult? It has never worked right! Why am I forced to run it through CGM in order to get reliable results?

#2. Let me fix errors during feature creation rather than having to start all over again. I.E. "Through curve mesh" intersection errors force me to fix the intersections and then start all over again. Let me edit the intersections from within the creation menu so I don't have to re-select all of my geometry again! Apply this mentality to all feature creation...give me the ability to fix mistakes on-the-fly.

I think I'll be more likely to add items to a thread on a message board than write them down on a notepad so let's give it a shot!

Take care...

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We have now migrated to NX4 and the hole feature still lacks any of the functionality I meantioned in my previous posts. Are there any plans to decrease the endless clicking associated with this operation? If you think logging another IR with GTAC will help I'm willing to pursue that avenue, but past experience has proven fruitless.

For my take on NX4, as a recent convert, please refer to this post:

Thank-You Mr. Baker

I utilize your software 50-60 hours a week, and I just want it to be all it can be. Our success is indirectly connected to yours, and I want to help out as much as I can. That and my clicker finger gets sore. ;)

How about an undo for some of the dizzy changes in since NX2. For instance, how about they "undo" the changes made to the Information function. I worked very well before. Maybe the time spent on that change could have been better utilized on something else.

'ziner

Peace Through Superior Fire-Power!

There was a change in NX 3, as compared to NX 2, in the interaction when making more than one set of measurements in the same dialog opening. This has been pretty well addressed in NX 4 to make it much easier and more logical to make additional sets of measurements without leaving the dialog.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
NX Product Line
UGS Corp
Cypress, CA

Ahh, the distance analysis. I know what you are talking about then. Yea, it was a pain in the butt at first, but after using it this way for this long it's become second nature.

Sometimes you just have to roll with the punches.

Justin Ackley
Designer
jackley@gmail.com

I've been very critical at times since the NX series came about and I have to say that NX5 is above and beyond any of the other NX releases. I hope the trend continues and UGS (or Siemens) keeps up the good work. No, it's not perfect, but I honestly feel it's a big step in the direction that the majority of users would like to see it go.

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

Some people are like slinkies....they don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Tim, how much of your work is GM related? Just wondering how you can be on the newer releases when GM is still on NX3.0. Do you only ship them parasolids through autoweb?

Just curious. I would love to be on the new releases. Just still stuck on NX3.0. Although majority of my work is GM parts, not many go back to GM. If we do send any data it's through autoweb as a parasolid. Which could be done in the new releases.

Justin Ackley
Designer
jackley@gmail.com

Justin,

I have 3 different versions of NX installed along with one seat of I-DEAS and possibly a seat of CATIA v5 coming along in the future. I just use NX3 for the GM work and newer versions for other customers. Some of our customers are conversion companys that don't have any data management policy in place, so we're responsible for all of that, which allows us to choose the software we wish to use for the modeling and drawing. Other customers (like Nissan), aren't quite the sticklers that GM can be when it comes to CAD data. We might model in CATIA then bring the model into I-DEAS as a dumb solid and cheat on the drawing by importing a cgm and hiding a view of the model to get the drawing linked to the solid.

I think the whole integrated supplier business didn't go over well with our decision makers. But don't quote me on that...utter speculation.

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

Some people are like slinkies....they don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Ok, things NX5 needs to fix:
#1 Bring back the documentation to the resource bar. I'm getting tired of having two windows to deal with. This version is so different I'm sure alot of people will be spending time in the docs. It makes it hard to go step by step along with the docs in two different windows. I really hope CAST hasn't been removed from the resource bar also. (We haven't got CAST installed yet, so I don't know.)
#2 What happened to the offsets in the point constructor? I use rectangular and vector offsets very frequently. How do I offset a point? And no, I don't want to open another dialog to do this.

OK, if you want to be able to get direct access to your documentation from the Resource Bar, just go to Customer Defaults -> Gateway -> User Interface -> General and in the field for Web Browser - Home Page URL, set it to:

<UGII_BASE_DIR>\UGDOC\html_files\mainlibrary.html

As for the second item, I'll have to get back to you on that one.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
UGS NX Product Line
SIEMENS
UGS PLM Software
Cypress, CA

John, but if you set the Home Page URL to <UGII_BASE_DIR>\UGDOC\html_files\mainlibrary.html then you lose the option to display a custom web page.
NX3 and NX4 had two resource bar tabs, one for Help and one for Internet Explorer.

Specialty Engineered Automation

OK, try this.

Go to the ugii_env.dat file (in the UGII folder) and search on 'UGII_DISABLE_HELP_PAGE'. When you find this variable, comment it out (actually there are two entries, comment them both out). The problem is that apparently under Windows 64, you can ONLY display the HTML documentation reader in an external browser and it appears that someone decided to play it safe and disable it by default (I'm not so sure that was a very good idea, but since no one asked me, they never got the benefit of my many years of experience nor my vast insight into how our customers are actually using the system ;-)

Anyway, if you comment these variables out, you will basically have the pre-NX 5 Resource Bar behavior for accessing the Documentation set.

As for CAST, I don't nomrally install it on my system so I can't answer that question with 100% certainty, but from reading the ugii_env.dat file it appears that it's still supported on the Resource Bar, if you've installed the proper CAST libraries of course.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
UGS NX Product Line
SIEMENS
UGS PLM Software
Cypress, CA

That's a problem, because unfortunately the environment varible is backwards, that is you have to NOT have it to get the Resource Bar tab to appear and therefore if you can't get access to the ugii_env.dat file to remove it, you can't get the help tab to appear, sort of like un-ringing a bell. Once it became apparent that this was poorly implemented, it was decided that we needed to change it, so to that effect I've opened a PR which we hope we can still get resolved in NX 5.0.1.x (if not there, then certainly in NX 5.0.2.x).

But for now, you really only have two choices, get someone to edit the ugii_env.dat file and remove the offending variable or, as I suggested originally, change the Customer Default so that you can get access to the help files via the web browser tab. I know it's not ideal, but it might be OK until we get this fixed in the code.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
UGS NX Product Line
SIEMENS
UGS PLM Software
Cypress, CA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back