Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

I've been offered a position with a company and my employer counteroffered something better. 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

raychl05

Mechanical
Jun 20, 2012
US
All, I am extremely lost. I was found on LinkedIn by a company that is much larger than my current company and offered me the job at 15,000$ more than I was making. The major cons of this are that I go from driving 8 miles round trip to driving 80 miles round trip; 10 minutes to 45 minutes. I looked into how much I would be spending on gas and it goes from 650$ to over 6,000$ a year in gas. I of course didn't look this up though until I told my boss I was leaving and he gave me a counteroffer of 18,500$ more a year and a new improved title. My company now also pays for 1/3 of my Masters and the new company will not.
Here's my dilemma. I looked up on what to do when you receive a counteroffer and every site says it's a bad thing and that 80% of the people that except a counteroffer leave or are fired within 1-2 years.
Also, I told the recruiter that I verbally excepted the position at the new company.
I wasn't truly looking for a new job so it's not like I was determined to leave my current position, but the money at the new company seemed to be what I was worth.
Also, if you minus the 6 grand in gas from the 15,000 more the new company was offering, my company now is offering me almost double.
The only reason I accepted the offer from the new company is because I was not expecting in a million years that my company would offer me this much more. They told me they were planning on doing it at the end of the year anyways so now it's just several months earlier.
I just need some advice.

Thanks,
Rachel

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Once risk to staying at the current employer is that her boss will always question her loyalty. She could very well end up at the top of the list when layoff time comes around.

Tunalover

Life is full of risks, this isn't one that would keep me awake at night.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"Once risk to staying at the current employer is that her boss will always question her loyalty."

Why? The OP was apparently content staying at a company paying them between $15,000 and $18,000 p.a. less than the going rate for that job. What's that if not loyalty?

Or she could be at the top of the layoff list because she's paid market value, and everybody else there is underpaid. Sounds scary, better ask for a pay cut quick.

If you're valued enough for a $15k bump, chances are there are plenty of average to low performers that are higher up on that list. Still being able to perform well with a skeleton crew should be worth a lot more than $15k, when you are deciding who you need to keep.

I don't think the question of loyalty is nearly as relevent today as it was 20 (or more) years ago. It doesn't appear that there is much loyalty on the side of most companies now a days - I wouldn't expect much on the side of the employees.

Fully agree with truckandbus. Companies are trigger happy these days in making staff redundant in case of any troubles. Also, we, as a profession, need to ensure that we are paid adequately.

I did the same thing in the past. Accepted a job somewhere else and was given a good bump in salary and title change at the current job. I had given up on the idea that the owner was ever going to really follow through on what he said he was going to do for me. I still had to think it over, but they eventually gave me what I wanted and why I was looking at the time. They wouldn't do anything before I was going to jump ship though. It wasn't about the money for either, but that helped. I wasn't in the chopping block when the rounds of layoffs happened and he stood up for me as well with some office politics. I got my own small team and projects by doing this. Chase the experience not the funny money.

B+W Engineering and Design
Los Angeles Civil Engineer and Structural Engineer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back