Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

J-Integral for non-sharp growing crack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabriel Coelho

Mechanical
Apr 26, 2020
BR
Hello, everyone

I am trying to model a C(T) specimen to derive the resistance curve from it. As it can be seen from the figure above, I have modeled it considering a non-sharp crack with crack front defined by the row of elements ahead of the pre-crack tip. The growth is simulated by element deletion considering a damage evolution law (GTN model, in abaqus known as porous metal plasticity).

I want to obtain the J-Integral values for each time step so I can derive the J-Δa curve. How could that be done in Abaqus? What woyld be the most easy and straightforward way to do it?

Thank you in advance

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=ff859c55-278a-40e3-82d7-6d64889a1dbf&file=Fig1.png
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In Abaqus you can request J-integral and stress intensity factor output for analyses with stationary cracks (using either regular FEM or XFEM). But you have to define crack first (Special —> Crack —> Create).

Hi FEA way

That would work only for a seam crack, i.e., a sharp crack with front defined as a line or point. As I explained, I am trying to make a more "real" crack front considering it a non-sharp (blunt) crack. For that, I do not know how to proceed.

If anyone could give me some help, I'd appreciate it. Thanks

For crack tip you have to select nodes at the actual tip of the crack. Here's how it should look like for rounded crack (modeled using symmetry):

blunt_crack_mzgrht.png

I tried and got this error message:

***ERROR: THIS KEYWORD IS NOT AVAILABLE IN Abaqus/Explicit
LINE IMAGE: *contourintegral, crackname=H-OUTPUT-3_CRACK-1, frequency=0,
normal, contours=6, cracktipnodes
***NOTE: DUE TO AN INPUT ERROR THE ANALYSIS PRE-PROCESSOR HAS BEEN UNABLE TO
INTERPRET SOME DATA. SUBSEQUENT ERRORS MAY BE CAUSED BY THIS OMISSION

***ERROR: ANALYSIS WILL BE TERMINATED

It seems that contour integral does not work with Explicit. Any ideas on how to work this around?

Yes, you have to use Standard (implicit) for that. There’s no option to evaluate J-integral and SIF’s in dynamic explicit analysis. So you would have to change solver.

I'm afraid that the only way would be to export field outputs (stress and displacement components, strain energy density) from Abaqus and postprocess these results in some external software.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back