Jacketed vessel design and it's making requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

GD_P

Structural
Apr 6, 2018
IN
Hello,

Again a few very basic questions regarding Jacketed vessel design and it's name plate marking. Vessel has an inner cylindrical shell containing shell side fluid (process fluid) which is heated by jacket side fluid (utility fluid), flowing in the space between shell & jacket. Consider following operating conditions:
Shell side - FV or 2 bar at 100 °C &
Jacket side - 6 bar at 200 °C. (This is just an example, it may sound hypothetical as I am not a process engineer. Also let us keep the operating to design conversion aside to understand the problem)
Shell & jacket are independent chambers i.e., design conditions may or may not act simultaneously.
Q.1) Are below design conditions for shell correct?
Internal press design - 2 bar @ 200 deg
External press design - 7 bar (6 + 1) @ 200 deg

IMO, they are correct. Since shell temp will always be in between 100 & 200 and predicting exact temp is neither worth nor easy.
Q.2) But in such a case, what should be put on the marking?
A)
Shell MAWP internal - 2 bar & FV @ 100 C
Shell MAWP external - 6 bar @ 200 C
OR
B)
Shell MAWP internal - 2 bar @ 200 C
Shell MAWP external - 7 bar @ 200 C

IMO, considering Q.1 design conditions as correct option B is suitable, but this will mislead the operator or user about the actual operating data.
Q.3) Can we put marking as per Q.2, A) when shell design conditions are as per Q.1?

Do share your opinion. I know, I am not the only one to deal with jacketed vessels, so how do deal with this issue in your case?
Thank you in advance.
Regards,

GD_P

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Uh, well.
I have never done a nameplate on a jacketed vessel but i think it’s the same as a heat exchanger.
Like,
The data of the jacket should be assigned for jacked and the data of the vessel should be assigned for the vessel.
You can mention the design external temperature of the vessel as it’s the internal design temperature of the jacket and the external design temperature of the jacket is atmosphere if it is.
The worst case scenario is to have no pressure in the internal tank and 6bars in the external jacket.
Check out the jacket design in the asme code BPV
PLUS
the mawp of the of the vessel should be higher than 2 bars and dito for the jacket.
Idk why the manufacturer of this jacket doesn’t propose a nameplate, it is not your job unless you are the manufacturer.
Please look at the nameplate design of the standard pressure vessel U2 in the asme code.

Detailing is a hobby,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back