Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Jackup barge for the Barents Sea 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rezette

Mechanical
Mar 30, 2004
GB
Hello,

We are investigating they possibility to engineer a jackup barge designed for very harch sea conditions (Barnts Sea, wave heights typ. 4,5 m , max. wind velocity 30 m/s , icebergs). Does anyone has an idea if this is possible and even if it already exists. Are there also design codes for such conditions (DNV, Lloyds, ...)

Greetings,

Gilbert Rezette

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks Civilperson and Gerhard for your reply to my question. I think DNV will aslo be apropriate for our design. I also have lokked at the site of Aker, but this are concrete based platforms (big ones). We were thinking of a payload of approx. 300 mton.

Greetings,

Gilbert

Rezette,

the wind speed, wave height and payload are no problem. many harsh environment jackups already exist for drilling.

Your problem will be the icebergs. How to make the legs resist collision with the icebergs and/or how to make the jackup continue to stand up with one or more legs missing.

In the Canadian arctic, the oil business used caissons submerged to sit on the seabed. Not sure what water depth your project is in.

The eastern coast of Canada is also a place where icebergs exist and different platforms have been used there. If we ignore the floating ones (Terra Nova and White Rose FPSOs) which can disconnect and escape from the icebergs, there are two other examples;

1) massive concrete seabed founded structure (Hibernia) designed to take impact from the ice

2) much smaller, cheaper approach used at the Cohasset-Panuke fields (now abandoned)

Try to see what the oil business has done in;
a) the Caspian Sea
b) Sakhalin Island

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back