Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Job Interviews And Practise 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

canadeng

Mechanical
Feb 9, 2012
CA
I've heard that in order to keep your interview skills sharp you should plan to go through a job interview every so often. I have not been through an interview in approx. 6 years and I am thinking of doing this (with the purpose of seeing what other opportunities are out there, as well as seeing if there is any interest in my skills, i.e. building up my confidence). Just curious if anyone has done this or is currently doing this? Also, if you apply for a job that you are not really interested in, should you feel bad for going through the motions, with no intent on taking the job if they offer it to you?
Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I am all for keeping abrest of other opportunities. There was a layoff at my first and I thought it would be me so I started applying to some positions. I interviewed at 2 different places but I wasn't made an offer. I thought the interviews went well.

I don't think I have ever gone on an interview for the purpose of practicing my interviewing skills. In the grand scheme of things I don't think it will hurt anyone.

It sounds like at your stage of career the main questions will be about your experience. If you have being working in the area you are applying for I think you should be able to describe in depth how you will benefit a prospective employer.

Seems a bit over the top, in my opinion. I think that all you really need to do is to keep an updated answer list to the typical questions that you might be asked in an interview.

Otherwise, I can see where someone might get a reputation of being a looky-loo, and never closing on a job offer.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

I've applied for - and interviewed for - a couple of positions where I wasn't 100% sure I wanted the job, but at a time that I was 100% sure I wasn't staying where I was for much longer. Not quite the same situation I agree, but similar.

The worst that can happen is that you are offered a job and decide not to take it. Kinda tough on folks who really want that job and get pushed out, assuming that you are good enough to get the offer, but who says life is fair? If you're that good then maybe you don't need to worry. [wink]

It's a double-edge sword. Yanking a prospective employer's chain is potentially bad, particularly if you go back later, and really need a job, and they see that you've turned them down before.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

There's a distinction between a job you're only vaguely interested in and one you'd almost certainly not take.

Interviewing for the later would be verging on unethical in my opinion as you're essentially wasting other folks time.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

I don't believe in wasting anyone's time. It's the one thing we cannot get back.

Also, if you owned a company, would you pay for someone to practice on your dime?

Pamela K. Quillin, P.E.
Quillin Engineering, LLC

I was on the job hunt for the past year or so, ended up doing several interviews, got better with each one. I did turn down a couple that I wasn't interested in the job though. You definitely don't want to waste someones time. It's a pretty tough gig (for me anyway) to fake my way through when I'm not interested. One interview I think the people could tell when they described the position that I shut down after that. I tried not to show it, but it came through. Anyway, If you are interested in changing, definitely interview and go thruogh the process. You may not get the first job, but the interviewing will get easier. You'll get quicker with your answers, quicker on your feet to curve balls, that type of thing.

Yes but that is fair enough. An interview is supposed to be a 2 way exchange. I had the same experience, all the way through the application and interview process they didn't tell me which company it was for. When they did I imagine my face fell. Two years later they went bust.

What an interview is not supposed to be is a waste of either parties time, and I have certainly had one of those, where it was obvious that the department involved had not actually read my application properly since it explicitly stated tat I had no experience in what they needed. They went bust soon after as well.

Cheers

Greg Locock

New here? Try reading these, they might help FAQ731-376

IBM had an interesting approach; they wouldn't tell me the salary unless I accepted the offer first. After much wrangling on the phone, they finally asked what my other offers were, I told them, and they said, "Oh, we weren't going offer anywhere near that much." So, rather than a career designing ICs, as I intended, I wound up on a totally different track.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

I went through the interview process a while ago doing just this scenario. I was curious if I could make a lot more money, so why not see what happens, and at least I could practice my interviewing skills. Didn't seem like I had anything to lose. Turns out I was offered every single job I interviewed for. It felt good and in the end I accepted a nearly the same job but paying a lot more. My then current job matched that offer and the owners seemed to treat me with a lot more respect afterwards. I wouldn't purely go interviewing as practice as you may find something better out there. And the pay might be a lot better on top of it.

B+W Engineering and Design
Los Angeles Civil Engineer and Structural Engineer
| |

IRstuff: "Sure, I accept - contingent upon reaching an agreeable total compensation package."

brandonbw: I'm glad that worked out for you. The conventional wisdom is to not accept your current employer's counter-offer, as they often will immediately start looking for a cheap replacement for you.

Back to the original topic: An interview is definitely a two-way street. I would only interview for something that I am interested in. On the flip side, I don't see the need to be more than just interested.

TomDOT, I only look at things I am interested in and completely agree it's a two way street. I've stated that in phone interviews, which killed the process immediately. However, they revealed they weren't the right company to work for.

Pamela K. Quillin, P.E.
Quillin Engineering, LLC

My take on CanadEng question: Never lose confidence, difficult to get it back. Just practicing interviews most likely give you false inference. Right from start, be positive, pick a position you like, go for it. Target Preparation is the key. You list what that particular interviewer would ask (assuming you were in that lead position recuiting yourself), prepare answers. No need to lie, instead focus on the job requirements and adjust (difficult term) your qualification and skills to suit. Remember what the interviewwers want - initiative, active learner, staying current, be flexible, be organized are some of the common expectations. Prepare to prove those. Also remember to ask very tactful questions at the end - such as how the job success would be measured, what monthly performamce is expected, in your opinion how well my qualification and skill fit this position......Always assume that you'll control the interview and going to oversmart the interviewer - in a polite and confident manner.

I don't know about outsmarting the interviewer, but I always make sure to ask THEM questions to learn more about the actual job, the company culture, expectations, perhaps budget support, et cetera. Again, part of that two-way street.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back