Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Joint Information

Status
Not open for further replies.

boricuastructural

Structural
Jul 12, 2007
US
I want to design an expansion to an existing building but I want it to make it independent of the existing structure. What kind of joint should I use between the old and new slab?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Are you asking about isolation or expansion?

Is this a slab-on-grade or a structural slab that you are asking about? Conventionally reinforced or post-tensioned? Heated or unheated structures? Approx. length of structures? Will you be carrying the expansion joint thru the walls and roof also?
Are you in a seismic zone?

As you can see there are many consideration depending on what you are talking about. We need more info.

Ok. You are right. I am in a seismic zone. This is a structural slab conventionally reinforced. The length of the old structure is 160 ft by 21 ft. The new addition is going to be 14 ft by the 160 ft of the old structure. I want to make them independent and avoid pounding effects.

The either need to be separate enough at the roof so that they don't collide or they need to be tied together.

The separation needs to be greater the summation of their amplified drifts.

I am sure someone previously mentioned using a sacrificial bridge between 2 sections of a building. I would think this may be appropriate in this case.

csd

A sliding steel plate spanning the gap between the buildings works at floors. Need clever details for carpeted floor. I would try a 1/2" stainless plate fixed on on side spanning 8" to a support on the other side with 10" of bearing on non-fixed end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back