Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

joint(support) in a plate

Status
Not open for further replies.

smfa

Civil/Environmental
Sep 3, 2003
US
I am modelling a plate with a hole in this . I used open structure wizard to this . Now I need to specify two joints where my support will be located . This two joints are not same as the joints created by triangular plate elements . I inserted those two support joints on the joints and specify those two joint a pinned support . But while analysis the structure , it stops saying that those two joint are not connected and structure is dejointed . Please help me how I should specify these two supports in the plate . Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Insert your support nodes and delete plates in the immediate vicinity. Insert new plates about the new nodes inserted. Another methos is to use the parametric modeling capability in STAAD. To do this, insert the boundary nodes and the support nodes first. The plates will be automatically created with all nodes incorporated.

Thank you DTJ(Structural) for your valuable advice . I need one more suggestion from you . I have two different plate structures(plate+Wbeam) connected by bolts .Small plate structure is attached to the bigger plates structure with bolts . How do I define common nodes(bolt locations) between this two plates .Thanks for your help

If the smaller plate is bearing on the W-shape, then you would want nodes along the entire length of the beam, just make sure there is node at each of your bolt locations. If you are only wanting load (for example eind or seismic) to be transfered at the joint locations, then you will only connect your smaller plate nodes to the larger at the bolt locations. Not sure thats exactly what you're looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back