Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

JONSWAP spectum S(w)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giu.seppe

Civil/Environmental
Aug 25, 2017
IT
Hello to all. Sorry for my english, I'm an italian civil engineering student.
I have a question about the JONSWAP spectrum. We know that the JONSWAP spectrum, in terms of frequency, is:

S(f) = α g[sup]2[/sup] (2π)[sup]-4[/sup] f[sup]-5[/sup] exp {-1.25 (f[sub]m[/sub]/f)[sup]4[/sup]} γ[sup]exp {-(f-f[sub]m[/sub])[sup]2[/sup]/(2σ[sup]2[/sup]f[sub]m[/sub][sup]2[/sup])}[/sup]

Now I would like to write S in term of ω: f= ω/(2π). The first piece of S (f) becomes:

S(ω) = α g[sup]2[/sup] (2π)[sup]-4[/sup] f[sup]-5[/sup] [etc.]

= α g[sup]2[/sup] (2π)[sup]-4[/sup] [ω/(2π)][sup]-5[/sup] [etc.]

= α g[sup]2[/sup] (2π)[sup]-4[/sup] ω[sup]-5[/sup] (2π)[sup]5[/sup] [etc.]

= α g[sup]2[/sup] (2π) ω[sup]-5[/sup] [etc.]

The problem is that in all the books (and also on Wikipedia) it is written:

S (ω) = α g[sup]2[/sup] ω[sup]-5[/sup] [etc.]

without the remaining 2π in my passages. What am I missing?

Thanks for your help!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

So, where did you get your version? Since you're the anomaly... would you argue with MIT?
Nevertheless, since it's in frequency space, it's likely that the putative Fourier transform's form is different, and the pesky 2π is often floating around as a square root term in symmetrical FT's or only in one direction. The only thing you can be certain about with FT is FT[sup]-1[/sup][FT(f] = f, i.e., the 2π term resolves itself when taking the inverse FT of an FT'd function

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

Thanks for your answer.

IRstuff said:
So, where did you get your version?

First of all in original Hasselmann paper (pag. 32). Other references:

[ul]
[li]BENASSAI, Introduction to coastal dynamics and shoreline protection, par. 2.2.3 (pag. 100)[/li]
[li]OCHI, Ocean waves, par. 2.3.5 (page 45)[/li]
[li]SORENSEN, Basic wave mechanics for coastal and ocean engineers, par. 6.3.3 (pag. 138)[/li]
[li]USACE, Shore protection manual, vol. 1 (pag. 3-43)[/li]
[/ul]

It seems that there is a mistake in the third line. The second line shows f^5 whereas the third line shows the substitution f=w/2n as(w/2n)^-5. the -5 exponent should be a positive exponent unless further substitution in the original equation shows that you are correct.

chicopee said:
It seems that there is a mistake in the third line. The second line shows f^5 whereas the third line shows the substitution f=w/2n as(w/2n)^-5. the -5 exponent should be a positive exponent unless further substitution in the original equation shows that you are correct.

Sorry, I didn't understand. For more clarity, I write my passages

spettro_tyhayk.png

IRstuff said:
OP's first and second limes are incorrect; it should have f-5 as shown in the cited reference

Sorry, but (again) I didn't find the error you said...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back