Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Keep razor blades sharp 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

IFRs

Petroleum
Nov 22, 2002
US
What is the best way to keep razor blades sharp? I read somewhere that most modern razor blades dull from corrosion long before they get dull from cutting beard hair. If that is true, how can I keep them from corroding?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't know what kind of metal they are made of, but assuming you don't have a dessicator, or other dry place to store them, perhaps a thin layer of baby oil on the edge would protect it from moisture in the air. I assume they are kept in the bathroom, a relatively humid room.

If you don't like the oil idea, try putting them in a zip-lock baggie, squeeze out the excess air, and store them in the freezer. The cold will slow any corrosion reactions.

The querie may not be out of the blue because the tip potential at the sharp edge might hasten corrosion. Other than keeping them cool and dry as sciguyjim noted, would you consider galvanizing? <G>

How about imersion in some liquid?
If so, what liquid would be appropriate?
Alcohol? Baby oil? Soap?

The freezer is far from my bathroom....

You didn't like the HDG...

I'd stay away from soaps and oils; many oils do not displace moisture. A good grade of gun oil or sewing machine oil. There may also be some oils that are used for machinery that will provide water displacing benefits. You also have to be careful about removing a coating as not to damage the blade greater than the expected corrosion. Is it possible to 'rig' a small impressed current using a battery to provide some type of cathodic protection?

I never told anyone about this before, afraid they'd think I was either real cheap or just nuts, but I tried putting the whole razor head in alcohol to stop corrosion. Don't know why, but it made them corrode even faster (Gillette &quot;Blue&quot; blades, plain high-carbon steel, sharpest available years ago). Now they use a stainless-probably 440C.

I don't use this (really), but WD40 will probably prevent corrosion.

Metalguy,
I'm sure submerging the razor in alcohol accelerated the corrosion because of the water in the alcohol. Instead of just atmospheric moisture being in contact with the metal, now a lot of water was in contact. Leaving the blade in the handle could have also promoted corrosion if the dissimilar metals created a battery.

They say WD40 displaces water, but I wouldn't want to get it into any cuts. I think any oil should be washed off before use, but baby oil would be the safest.

Dik,
I like the idea of using a small battery to provide some cathodic protection. I don't imagine it would be too hard to rig up a battery, anode, and a couple of steel alligator clips. Don't use copper clips and if copper wire is used, seal it up well with silicone glue. I'd add an adjustable resistance too because a 1.5 V battery could supply way more current than was needed (depending on the electrolyte.)

IFRs,
Imersion in a liquid is fine, but it would have to be baby oil. The idea is to use a liquid that won't absorb water from the air and will prevent water vapor or liquid from touching the blades. The oil would also seal the blades from oxygen. Oxygen and water together cause corrosion to occur easily. Alcohol or soap would not give this protection. Complete immersion wouldn't be necessary, just an unbroken coating of oil on the blade edge.

I could not undertand why these elaborate arrangements - alcohol, baby oil, WD40, cathodic protection, etc. Why do not use just wash, dry (possibly blow dry with or without alcohol) and leave it in a cool, dry place? I suppose you are living in a humid place (near sea) and/or your bath is not well ventilated.

The newer blades come with a number of coatings (some of them are advanced PVD or CVD coatings) providing wear-resistance and corrosion protection.

Check with Gillete's technical people what they say.

CdotS:
You forgot to include the HDG <G>! It would be interesting to see what sort of wisdom a Gillette tekkie could offer!

I was hoping that sciguyjim was going to elaborate on the cathodic protection... control systems, that sort of ilk.

Why not treat them like a metal sample mounted for microscope work.

Wash them in pure ethanol or methylated spirits and then blow dry them. You will then need to store them in a dry location.

Proper usage is important, try leaving the blade up when finished, that way moisture will run away from edge, not onto it in drop form

Cathodic protection may not be such a good idea. Since the blades are SS, you might push the potential from the passive range into the active range and end up with higher corrosion rates. However, if someone wants to try CP, why not couple the blade to a strip of zinc instead of messing with impressed current?

why not swap to an electric razor? They stay sharp longer. Why does Braun recommend changing out their cutting heads only on an annual basis? It sees the same beard. They have a new self-cleaning system that uses alcohol to float out the little hairs and mulch. Don't know what type of alcohol is recommended.

Hmmmmm-Ain't none youse guys heard of &quot;Pyramid Power&quot;?
I used to work for a chief engineer that ACTUALLY had a self-made plastic pyramid setting on his drafting table and had put corroded razor blades under the pyramid. &quot;Pyramid Power&quot; was supposed to heal the corrosion!

Jesus is THE life,
Leonard

This thread isn't at all stereotypical engineer talk eh? [thumbsup2]

Wiring up a cathode to stop your razor going dull? Blimey.

Someone please, design an utterly ridiculous over-the-top razor protection system. With a brushed alu finish and at a whole bunch of flashing LEDs, one of which must be blue, with a cool backlit LCD screen.

I'd buy it.

Reminds me of that 'Dilbert' comment: &quot;An Engineer is someone who can't look at his TV remote control without wondering what it would take to turn it into a ray gun.&quot;

Excessive accuaracy is a sign of poor breeding. -Socrates.

Rube Goldberg would probably try something like the following:
When you finish shaving and lay the razor on the sink counter it lands across the tail of a mouse. The mouse scampers off and claws a towel hanging from a rack. The towel falls and hits a hairbrush estended over the edge of the counter and falls to a teeter totter on the floor which projects a ball towards the ceiling where it releases a vacuum chamber with a rubber suction cup which falls over the razor, pulls a hard vacuum and voila.....

Jesus is THE life,
Leonard

Since blades get dull from corrosion, not whiskers, and corrosion is typically a form of oxidation, it would seem that the best thing would be to keep oxygen from the blade edge. I'm not sure if imersion an a liquid does that. How about carving some soap or wax with the razor after each use? Would that coat the blade and keep out moisture and oxygen?

Highly reactive metals are often kept imersed to prevent oxidation.
Wax sometimes is used for long term cutlery storage. However, the wax would prevent the blade from slipping smoothly across the skin unless removed first.
Eureka!
How about food grade light mineral Oil. It is usually labled as wooden cutting board dressing.
Coats the blade, and excludes moisture and oxygen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back