Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Keep razor blades sharp 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

IFRs

Petroleum
Nov 22, 2002
US
What is the best way to keep razor blades sharp? I read somewhere that most modern razor blades dull from corrosion long before they get dull from cutting beard hair. If that is true, how can I keep them from corroding?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Here's a question, possibly related to old blades.

I use an electric rotary shaver, I've never used any straight blade. Now and then, I get little nicks, usually on my neck, which almost bleed a tiny bit. These are not from the whiskers getting snagged and being forcably pulled out, that's a very different feel and they do not bleed. I think it happens more when the whiskers are short. I can see how a straight blade can possibly nick the skin, but I don't see how the rotary, with such tiny gaps in the screen, can possibly grab any skin. Anybody have any guesses how this happens.

I always rinse the blade with the hottest water
I can find and then give it a rugged shake to
rid the water. Lasts more than a month. I
know guys who dispose of ss blades everyday.
I do use the 3 blade type imbedded in a plastic
cartridge. I do store the razor in its original
holder with the blade down rather than up.
Up does make more sense, but 30 days is not bad.
Anyone here ever strop a straight edge razor?
Almost that old!

Blades are made from various materials: see
I use individual razor blades for several weeks with no special care. So why the concern with corrosion? I've never seen corrosion on razor blades. Maybe your water has low pH.

IRFs: It is not only oxygen that you need to keep from the blades, but also moisture (electrolyte).

If anyone has used rubbing alcohol to keep moisture away, remember rubbing alcohol has about 3% water.

I ran across this thread330-58901 which suggests that cryogenically treated blades have a longer life. So, in the interest of science, I bought a set. I may try to combine information gleaned here with the new blades and see what happens!!! You will be the first to know!!!

I spend about $16.00 a year on razor blades. Why worry about corrosion rates, impressed current gadgets and other things that will probably hurt your skin far worse than a little nick every now and then. This discussion kind of reminds me of the TV commercial that gose like this:

Three guys are driving down the road in this new car. One of them says " What do they put on your driver's license for hair color if you are completely bald?"

The APIGUY....

Hey, if you guys have problem with your blades, try one of the razor blades for women. Mine lasts more than 2 months w/o any care at all. Its called Gillette Venus.

aww, twalicia...

Can't do that. Would be like visiting the ladie's room.

Better grow beard and cut with a pair of scissors - or with an axe and a log. But be careful! Head is also easily chopped off!

It's not only like going to the ladie's room, there is a profound quality difference too. I used my wifes blade once when I had forgotten mine on a camping trip. These blades are deffinately made for very fine hairs, unlike beard hears. I personally don't understand why women need special blades since they pay more for less.

Anyway, how about putting the blades under parafine-oil. This way Na is kept, isn't it?

I presently have a controlled experiment underway to settle the corrosion or edge wear question. It's SO simple--I took a BRAND NEW (unused) razor and have been wetting it and then letting it dry. The diff. is that I am NOT using it to remove the shaving cream (gels are better) from my precious face! It also isn't cutting anything but air right now.

You will read the results right here in about 2 weeks-the normal time it takes for my razors to start pulling out hairs (ouch) instead of cutting them.

So lets line up the bets on what will happen.

Metalguy,

We are - of course - very grateful that you undertake this scientific investigation. But, while you are at it, couldn't you also throw in cathodic protection as well? There are many questions that remain to be answered and your research will certainly add valuable knowledge to the engineering community. Thanks for the initiative!

We have to take things one-at-a-time. Too many changes and I'll get lost. Also, these Gillette razors (the exact one to follow shortly) aren't exactly cheap (like me). We may find out that corrosion isn't even a factor.

But I am accelerating the test by wetting/drying the razor several times a day, so we'll get the results soon--and I assume I'll be receiving MANY red stars!

A number of recommendations in this thread have included different kinds of oil to coat the blades with.

How 'bout SNAKE OIL?

Jesus is THE life,
Leonard

I've heard that "fish oil" is/was used in Rustoleum dark red primer, and IMO that's pretty good stuff.

'Course here in Italy one can still buy real "red lead" paint-so loaded with lead a liter of it weighs a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back