Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Kitchen Cabinet and Appliance Loads

Status
Not open for further replies.

GTEngineer95

Structural
Jul 4, 2011
US
Can somebody help me with a source for psf dead and live loads associated with kitchen cabinets. Specifically, how much do typical modern residential kitchen base and wall cabinets weigh (PSF), the contents (dishes, pots, silverware), and the different countertops. My intention is to add the weight of the cabinets and countertops as a dead load for the design of the floor framing. Is the code specifed live load of 40 psf intended to cover the contents of base cabinets and the things we put on the countertops? Is that a reasonable value? I find very little published on the actual loads and subject. In my opinion, the appliances and wall and floor cabinet contents, are not sufficiently covered by a blanket 40 psf live load. The actual live loads along with the cabinets, countertops, and flooring overstress floor joists, especially when there is a center island near midspan.

Thanks in advance for any useful information and opinions.

Scott

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The 40 psf should cover it for residential kitchens. Remember, there is some open space as well, for moving around in the kitchen. If you are in doubt, make it 50.

Marble or granite countertops can add significantly to the local dead loads, and I do for these.

I also up the dead load for the floors for these materials, why not locally for countertops? i.e., double the joists in these areas?

!" thick marble or granite can add 10 to 15 psf to the local dead load, and, considering long term deflection, should be considered for performance and serviceability.

Mike McCann
MMC Engineering

Be carefull of your asumptions about a "perfect fit" and what happens in real residential construction.

Example: Our kitchen cabinets are "floor-to-ceiling" modules, and are attached by bolts to the overhead attic trusses, and by additional bolts to the floor joints over the basement. Walking was causing a noise or vibration in the cabinets, but I found that tightening had to be real carefully done top and bottom: pull "up" too much by tightening the top bolts in the attic and I would be pulling up the floor joists and was lifting the cabinets; leave the bottom bolts just a little bit loose, and the motion and noise would start again.

Even dead loads need to be moved: refrigerator, stove, microwaves, storage and cans and sinks need to get installed. But people will be a heavy load by themselves: Ever seen a kitchen on Thanksgiving morning?

Thanks for the responses, even the wise crack. I am an engineer that can appreciate humor. Unfortunately, they are not what I asked for. As an inspector and designer, I am all too aware of kitchen floor problems, This question (thread) is not for a specfic project, but for the next 40 I do. I am looking for sources or research, not an answer to a current situation. In my experience, a large percentage of kitchen floors are not stiff enough and or overstressed. It is clear to me the code does not adequately cover modern kitchen designs and loads, and many flooring manufactures want the structure to exceed the code minimums. The result is sagging floor framing and poor performing floor coverings.

If anyone has a source for kitchen specific loads or reasearch on this topic it would be greatly appreciated.

And yes I have a kitchen, but have no plans to weigh my specific materials, which may or not be representative. I was hoping a graduate student somewhere had worked on this for their research project.

After considering the DL of the floor;

Double the joist under the front edge of the cabinet and double the joists under any island to mitigate bounce.

As Mike Holmes (Holmes on Homes) says, "...minimum code...".

IRC doesn't address the issue. Write to the ICC and suggest that they upgrade the code, or if you work for a municipality suggest a modification. Building codes aren't written in stone; they change to adapt to the times.

No offense, but I don't think you'll find a graduate student interested in analyzing kitchen floors. Here's a thought: Do a finite element analysis of the floor on your own. Probably won't take long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back