Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

l-o-n-g DIY ac recharge hose

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tmoose

Mechanical
Apr 12, 2003
US
I just successfully recharged my daughter's Honda Accord 134 AC system using one of those DIY Interdynamics kits available everywhere.
My wife then announced the AC in her Mazda MPV probably needs recharge, too.

Unlike the convenient ports on the Honda, The Lowside port on the MAzda is buried way back by the firewall.
Before I consider just splicing a few feet of whatever in Is there a source for a DIY kit with a real long hose?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

thruthefence
Right.
B.E.

The good engineer does not need to memorize every formula; he just needs to know where he can find them when he needs them. Old professor

I have been using that very set of HF guages for years. The only problem I ever had was operator error. Opened the charge valve while the HP side valve was open. That coulda been really bad, especially when you consider the height the can was sitting at. I would be talking a few octaves higher, so to speak....

Scott

I really am a good egg, I'm just a little scrambled!

ScottI2R
So did the can swell up like a football, or go off with a loud bang?
Don't keep us in suspense.
B.E.

The good engineer does not need to memorize every formula; he just needs to know where he can find them when he needs them. Old professor

Oh, the concave bottom of the can inverted (expediently) itself causing the can to jump off the core support. It also became very hot and it caused me to create this very bad smell!

Stupid mistake with a very good outcome. Lucky Learning I call it.

Cheers,
Scott

Topping off the freon on my old Volvo 740 turbo at home, a few years ago, and I cleverly decided to speed up the process by carefully placing the can in the airflow from the radiator/condenser. Got side tracked talking to my neighbor, and Ker-BLAM!!! Isn't physics wonderful?

"But Captain, I canna change the laws of physics!"
"well then Mr. Scott, you're fired. "

It didn't shrapnel the radiator did it?
This is why we have global warming. People like us blowing up 12 oz cans of freon. Oh and cow flatulence too!

Cheers,
Scott

Who's talking about cows? I've contributed much more flatulance to the cosmos than I have ever vented freon, so I guess the ozone hole is my fault.

rmw

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back