Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Lack of Bluetooth Applications?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IRstuff

Aerospace
Jun 3, 2002
US
Seems like Bluetooth hasn't quite lived up to its promise. I would have expected that there's be all sorts applications with linked Bluetooth transceivers, etc.

It appears the Bluetooth transceivers can be built for literally pennies, and the integration of Bluetooth into various applications should be relatively easy, so why isn't it so?

TTFN

FAQ731-376

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The "nerd" factor?

I purchased my first Bluetooth device three weeks ago, and I do like it. But come on--can't we all admit that when you put the thing in your ear, you look like one of the Borg from Star Trek?

DaveAtkins

There are iPhone apps that use Bluetooth to provide a (very) short range walkie talkie function. Interesting, but the range is so limited that you might as well just speak to them.

Bluetooth USB dongles for your laptop are $1.88 from "DX", a Hong Kong based Internet storefront. The amusing thing about that already-foolish price is that it includes worldwide shipping.

One Bluetooth function that works very well (once it's setup correctly) is Bluetooth 'tethering' from laptop to iPhone, using the iPhone to access the 'net over the 3G network.

Have you seen the home brew virtual whiteboard made with a Wii remote (they use Bluetooth), laptop and projector? The only thing you have build is an IR LED emitter. Google Wii whiteboard, and look for Johnny Lee's videos.

I agree about the earpieces - I see too many people standing alone talking to themselves already. Looks so silly I want nothing to do with it.

Ford's Sync uses Bluetooth effectively.
It automatically connects to the first paired phone to get near the car. Then incoming calls to that phone come over the vehicle's speakers.
Should the vehicle get in an accident, Sync will attempt to dial 911 and provide a brief report. I have not tested this feature.
Sync also starts the phone's media player, so you can listen to your own music. Right now mine starts the phone playing whether the car audio is on or not; this may be a setup problem that I haven't resolved.

I think Android phones can be tethered, but I was not aware that iPhones could be tethered, because of alleged intentional brain damage to their Bluetooth 'stack' by Apple. No matter; when my contract is up, I will cleave myself away from iStuff.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

I guess AT&T would prefer that I pay them another $80/mo for a data card for my PC, in addition to the $60/mo iPhone data plan and the aggravating $30/mo Apple iTax.

The data card did work okay while I used it, except in places where AT&T doesn't have cell service.

I look forward to getting an Android phone.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Excuse the thread hijack: two iPhones 3GS, paid $300 each on the day they came out, about $120 month (+ tax) total, including 6GB 3G data each. Never heard of an iPhone iTax...

Back to Bluetooth. My GPS acts as a Bluetooth speakerphone in case someone calls while driving. Unfortunately if I touch the GPS anywhere near a 'Point of Interest', it may automatically call them. I've not yet found a setting to disable this overenthusiastic feature.

I was thinking more along the lines of Bluetoothing your alarm system to your cellphone, iPod, iPhone, etc., and the like.

TTFN

FAQ731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back