Ladder Ratings

Status
Not open for further replies.

wbd

Electrical
May 17, 2001
US
Hello Everyone,

I have a number of Type 1A (300 lb)ladders and would like to know what the upper limit is? I'm asking because I have a new employee who is 6'-6" and 311 lbs. He is only about 4% over the ladder rating, so is it unsafe for him to use a Type 1A ladder.

Thanks in Advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I am sorry but you and he both would be in violation. Sure the ladders have safety factors built into them and most likely the ladder would not collapse if all he was doing was climbing it. But that is not why ladders has a 2 or 3 safety factor in their weight limits. Think about this scenario... a 250 pound man climbs a ladder that is rated for 300 pounds. Of course he has to take his tools with him and since he can't climb the ladder safely with tools in his hand his put's on his tool belt (another 10-20 pounds or more in some cases). Once at the top of the ladder he finds that the nuts are rusted and he really has to torque down on the nut to get it to break free. How much force, in pounds, do you think a 250 pound man can apply down on that ladder? So again, I would not let a 300+ person do much climbing on portable ladders. By the way, you may also want to consider the issues you will have with personal fall arrest systems for this 300+ pound worker. The basic system as OSHA has laid out will NOT work for workers over 300 pounds.

Hope this helps,

Bryan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back