Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LAND BREAKER VALVE 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Forgot to mention - I'm an EE controls type guy. Since "Land Breaker Valve" is new to me, I went hunting.

One of the pipeline engineers will probably give you a better answer...

Best to you,

Goober Dave

Haven't see the forum policies? Do so now: Forum Policies

Never heard of it.
Give us some context.

"People will work for you with blood and sweat and tears if they work for what they believe in......" - Simon Sinek

I found this in a flow chart describing a group of pipes crossing a river (or the like).
There are lines of brine, water and oil. Only the oil line has a "land breaker valve " on each side of the crossing.
As the pipe is small, it seems to me like a typo - it should read " hand " not "land", meaning a emergency block valve.
But I need to be sure, may be something new ...

I'm reasonably sure that it's more than a typo, probably a translation mistake of both words "land breaker", such as "block" valve at the "landing". As it is an oil line, a rupture at a river would be critical thereby requiring a shutoff valve (as for example stated in B31.4 requirements), whereas a water, or brine line would most likely not require such valves as relatively little or no harm would occur by spilling those liquids there.

"People will work for you with blood and sweat and tears if they work for what they believe in......" - Simon Sinek

ASME B31.4 434.15.2 (a) requires mainline block valves on the upstream side of major river crossings and public water supply reservoirs, and either a block valve or a check valve on the downstream side. 49 CFR Part 195, ―Transportation of Hazardous Liquids by Pipelines,‖ has incorporated ASME/ANSI B31.4 code by reference.

On critical water crossings, some pipeline operators are installing a remotely operated isolation valve on the upstream side of the river crossing and a check valve on the downstream side of the river crossing.

I agree with BigInch, it is probably a translation issue.

Maybe, if the pipe is buried, it is describing a valve located where the pipe "breaks" through the ground surface in order to go up and over the water. Thus maybe a literal, but poor, description in colloquial language caused the confusion.

I worked an college internship at a DuPont chemical plant which was quite old and had generations of locals who had made up the workforce over time. Their terminology confused me some, but other student engineers, who weren't fluent in hillbilly-ese, weren't able to make any sense of it. There was one guy from Indonesia, that poor guy was completely lost.

Maybe that language is properly called hillbillian.

It resulted to be, according to the designer, a *line* breaker, in the sense of B31.4 434.15.2 (a). So, a check valve downstream and a automated ball valve upstream will be installed.

Thank you, guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back