Large Motor Testing Facility

Status
Not open for further replies.

eemotor

Electrical
Sep 26, 2003
US
Hello all,
I've been doing a bit of a search online for companies that deal with testing motors in north east US. In particular, I'm looking for a place that can test (heat run) 1000+ HP @ 3600 RPM continuous. So far, several places that I found have the power required but can't sustain the load for a long period of time (around 6 -8 hours) because of their dynamometers. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You might try Schulz Electric.

Also you might consider the two-frequency method heat run as allowed by IEEE112 (method B?) which uses electrical magic to simulate the heating created by torque loading.

=====================================
Eng-tips forums: The best place on the web for engineering discussions.

Not many Repair companies are going to have that kind of combined test facility. I would suggest contacting some of the large machine manufacturers and see if they could anything for you.

One of my responsibilities is to manage a test facility in the UK. We can test motors up to 2MW on a good day, duration of tests is not a problem, size, weight etc can be sometimes.

We are not tied to an OEM and get some interesting things to test, not always making the profit the management
If you can decipher my email in my profile feel free to contact me, alternatively, as stardelta suggested try a motor manufacturer.

What power/kva do you have available? Do you have two machines you can tests back to back?

Cheers

Siemens in Norwood Ohio load-tested a comparable motor for us.

I went ahead and contacted EASA. They also suggested Schulz Electric. Schulz Electric can't sustain the load of a 1000+ HP motor for an extended period of time. We also can't test the motor back to back as we won't have another motor of similar rating available to do a back to back load test. Will contact Siemens, see if they can do it.

Reliance has a large motor shop in La Porte, TX that I'm sure can handle your requirement. There is also a TECO/Westinghouse shop in Round Rock, TX; but I'm not sure if they can handle the load test.

GE has a large shop in New Orleans, but I'm not sure if they are online or not.

We have done business with the Reliance shop in Laporte TX and the TECO shop in Round Rock TX and I have been to both places. Neither of those two can do a real load test (TECO does do the two-frequency method). Bradley's in Corpus Christi can, but that's not the Northeast.

Schulz Electric load tested a 800hp 900rpm motor load test for us. That is a higher torque than your motor so I though they could do it. I'm a little surprised they can't.

Siemens Norwood Ohio load tested a 2500hp 1200 rpm motor for us.

If you are still looking for another source, I suggest that you go ahead and give TECO/Westinghouse a shout. On a motor this size, they can do the back-to-back test using one of their 1000hp, 2pole production units that happens to be going done the line at the same time you need the test done. I have seen their service group frequently do this back to back testing when troubleshooting hot vibration problems that reportedly do not occur till after several hours of running.

I vaguely remember hearing about a back-to-back test but I can't remember how it works. How does that work?

I think in a back-to-back test with 2 induction motors, the two motors are coupled together through a gear box. One motor runs at rated speed, the gearbox is adjusted so that the second motor (which will be generating power) runs at the same exact speed. I believe at that point a switch is thrown so that the circuit between the two motors completes. Gear box is adjusted in such a way as to increase the speed of motor 2 (generator) slightly above motor 1 until desired load is obtained. Usually a capacitor bank is connected to output from motor 2 for power factor connection.

Referring to IEEE 112-5.2.2.5

Briefly, this is a test designed to determine efficiency. But it can also be used to investigate “hot” conditions using shaft loading. Two machines are coupled together and connected to two separate power sources with the frequency of one of the sources being adjustable. One machine is operated as a motor at rated voltage and speed. The driven machine is operated as a generator at rated volts/hz BUT at a lower frequency to produce full load amps on the motor. Temperature is then recorded along with hot vibration and also noise when necessary. It is a time consuming test due to the need for accurate alignment.

Hi everybody,
We are thinking setup a load test stand for inverter duty motors. Put one inverter motor as the dyno, the test motor coupled with this dyno motor. Both motors controlled by two VFD drives. This should work in theory, But practically a few questions I need to know.
1. When the test motor reaches FLA( in other way, full load), what settings for the dyno motor? The dyno motor should try to run the opposite direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back