Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Laser transmission data rate upgrade 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

trrevor

Electrical
Nov 12, 2003
DE
Hi there am Trevor and am a systems administrator. I found optical transceivers units here that were transmitting at 10Mbps in a LAN extension facility here at the campus. I need to boost this data rate to 100Mbps. The link will also be used for both video and Audio data transmission.
In the existent system each optical tranceiver output (at the back of the unit) was connected to a transceiver cable that is plugged into an AUI to 10Base-T media converter, then RJ 45 interface, category 5 cable and finally to the Network Interface Card (In the PC).

From what i know, to enhance the data rate, i need to change the media coverter, although i have no idea what kind of media converter i need.
Secondly the transceiver cable might also need to be changed and yes once more i have no idea what kind of transceiver cable i need here too.
If i might ask, what kind of signal does the optical transmitter input/accept in before changing them to optical pulses or to what kind of signals does the optical receiver change the received optical pulses to???? if this is know i guess i will be in a position of determining what kind of Media converter i need.

Please be so kind and find some time for me. I will enormously appreciate your help.

Trevor

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Media convertors convert Electrical ethernet to optical ethernet. Optical side transmission speed is mention as 10 Base Fx or 100 Base Fx. Here Fx stands for Fiber. In this 100 Base Fx is for 100 Mbps speed. Also these conveters are of two types, one for use with Multimode Fiber and another for Singlemode Fiber. You need to specify this based on the Fiber being used. Singlemode is generally used for long distance transmission. Price for Singlemode converters are high compared to Multimode converters. This is so for Fiber prices also. Here at electrical side of the coverter, one has to use normal UTP cable (CAT 5). Electrical interface is generally RJ45. At Fiber side, Converter manufacturer will provide either SC or ST or FCPC connector. You require PIGTAILS (Fiber cable of about 7 to 10 Meters with one of the connectors SC/ST/FCPC - depend on the connector offerd by the converter manufacturer), which will get fused with the Fibre cable being used between LAN nodes. Connector of PIGTAIL will be connected to Conveter's Fibere side connector. (Both connectors should be of same type). From elctrical side of the converter, cable will get connected to your computer.

Hope this will give you rough idea about the connectivity.
Please feel free to contact for clarifications /informantions, if required.

VIKRANT

Trevor,

try to visit Hirschmann, or Blackbox web site they have some good info about what kind media converter you need.

Try going to the MRV Comm or Luminent site (same company) They have the answers to you problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back