Late renewal fee

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnthonyK

Mechanical
Oct 11, 2007
LV
Hi,

Today our VAR intoduced, as he told us, new SolidWorks Late renewal fee policy: the longer You are not on subscription, the bigger late renewal fee (a penalty?) You will have to pay when You want to be on subscription again.
1)Is it everywhere or just here in Latvia?
2)Is it correct to demand money from customer just because he had not used Your services for some period of time?

I hope it is allowed to ask such questions here...

Best regards,

Antons Kuzmins
CAD administrator
Sidrabe Inc.
Latvia

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

That would expose the ruse that tech support and software upgrades cannot be separated. Apparently they can, and they've now been priced. $850 per upgrade per year, the remainder for tech support. Should I be optimistic in believing I can purchase only the software upgrades and not the support? (Probably not.)

This brings up a problematic business model--that of the direct utility of the VARS--and I think this is why we'll see friction with SW in making this idea (software-only, service a la carte) available. How would their VARs stay in business? They might lose 30% of their revenue right off the top--a tough hit.

Jeff Mowry
What did you dream? It's all right--we told you what to dream.
--Pink Floyd, Welcome to the Machine

I have issues with the benefit of version after version. The fact is that SW is a pretty mature product at this time. All they are adding here and there are tweaks. The fact is if it wasnt for customers using a later, version most of us would be happy with the version we already have. The version incompatibility is the only reason most people stay up to date.

Our subscription ended 5/31, and the var just called and said they'll charge us $50 more per seat ($100 total for us,) if we don't renew today.

Wow! They really know how to put the pressure on.

We haven't paid for var help since 2000, just the upgrade package so we can stay current with our customers. The people at the resellers have all been nice, knowledgeable and helpful, and they offer fun informative monthly get-together training sessions, but the software is pretty simple and there is plenty of help here and in other forums.

I've liked the new features in each release, and really start appreciating service packs at about 3.1. Other than that fun, most of what we do could be done in SW2003 or earlier, whenever they did the major update to the sheet metal functions.

Diego

That's what I'm starting to see, along with Rocko's comments about the software maturing now. Makes each version less important, since the "improvements" along the way are usually reserved for UI tweaks or small feature additions to reduce the long-hand way of doing things. Great points!

Jeff Mowry
What did you dream? It's all right--we told you what to dream.
--Pink Floyd, Welcome to the Machine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back