Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lateral RW pressures for UDL & Point loads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gavin73

Structural
Aug 5, 2014
AU
Hi I am looking at some formulas which give lateral pressure distributions on retaining walls for point & UDL surcharge loads. The formulas do not reference Ka or K0 (AS4678 figure J7) or suggest how to modify these pressures for different Ka / K0 values. Does anyone know where I can find formulas for the above which incorporate Ka / K0? Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The Boussinesq equations for pressure distribution. I am not familiar with the document you reference, but Boussinesq is the only method I have come across for distribution of point loads. This method assumes the wall itself is unyielding which is why it doesn't reference soil parameters. I use my own judgement in how to 'reduce' those loads to account for wall movement

CWE -> These are the elastic methods noted by dcarr. These are popular but there are others. I hope to make a collection some day.

One that gets overlook, surprisingly, is made by Terzaghi (thanks to FixedEarth to point this out to me) pg 367 of Soil Mechanics in Engineering Practice

Basically he establishes a 'C' factor and states that the load travels at a 40 deg angle relative to the horizontal and is applied where that line hits the wall.
'C' is the ratio of vertical to horizontal force

1. Course-grained without fines (clean sand and gravel) = 0.27
2. Course-grained w/fines = 0.3
3. Residual soil w/stones, fine silty sand or granular materials w/ conspicuous clay content = 0.39
4. Very soft or soft clay, organic silts, silty clay = 1.0
5. Medium or Stiff clay = 1.0

The last one seems odd, as in too conservative, but what do I know. I'm not Terzaghi.

EIT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back