Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Layered Slab 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

EYFS

Structural
Jul 25, 2014
LB
Hi all,
Can someone provide me with a source, software, or spreadsheet than could design a layered concrete slab? I did model it on etabs (one layer old over a new one) but I have some concerns about shear forces between the layers and how reinforcement shall be checked.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What is the reason to pour a new slab over the existing slab? Is this an elevated slab or slab on grade? Do you need them to act compositely or can your provide a bond break between them and only rely on the new slab? Any issues with the function of doors, equipment, etc. with increasing the top of slab elevation?

Thank You for your reply.
I have a 15 cm roof solid slab. we need to add an additional floor so the slab thickness isn't enough for the new loads. our only option is to thicken and connect the slabs with shear reinforcements to make the existing steel enough for the new loading.

Assuming that the structure supporting the slab can support the additional slab weight...
Use first principles v = VQ/IB to determine your shear stress, calculated the number of studs/bars required to transfer the force between slabs, calculate the requirements and forces to post install studs/dowels into the existing slab....VIOLA!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back