Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Layout Sketches 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

dusty673

Automotive
Jul 23, 2010
US
hello everyone, this is my first post!

ok heres what I am trying to do....
I am attempting to model different chassis for cars. I want to be able to have an assembly of the chassis, but make it easy to make changes to the basic dimensions and have solidworks change the parts to match that desired dimension. i am trying to use a layout sketch to do this but i can not figure out how to link the 3-d parts (frame rails) to the layout sketch..

if anyone has any advice or direction it would be most helpful

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What you are talking about is essentially called "Master Modeling" technique. You essentially use a skeleton sketch to drive your design intent. If you are doing multibody parts then you just insert your skeleton into the top of your feature manager and model from there. If you want to stick with assemblies then you have to insert your skeleton into each part.

Dan

Dan's Blog

I'm currently working on a project using this method… it works well (usually) but there are a couple of irritations. My biggest pet peeve is that my "driving" sketch contains blocks and anytime I edit the blocks, all relations to them are lost. If I were to do it over, I'd make my driving sketch a part so that I could use it in other assemblies.

i am able to create "skeleton sketches" based on the center lines of 2x4 structural members in the layout of my assembly. How to i have these members coralate with the sketches in the layout drawing?

should i start with individual parts? or start with a layout drawing in an assembly than make the parts representing that?

Personally, I dislike the SW Layout method, and consequently do not use it. It's too clunky and clumsy for my liking.

I find creating the controlling or master sketch in a part dedicated for such to be much easier and more flexible. The part can be inserted into other parts and assys. Any changes to the master sketch/part is reflected throughout the design.

the reason i am attempting to use SW layout sketch is because I can have different part files to different types of rails, etc.

how do i go about "mating" parts to the layout sketch in a way that i can set driving dimensions in which i could change for different chassis and other dimensions would alter to fit the driving dimension?

for example,
if i have to vertical rails connected by a horizontal crossmember, if i want to change the width of the crossmember the vertical rails would move in and out depending on the width i set. this is just a very simple example, but other lengths/angles will be affected by this change also

I understand this is possible within the layout sketch feature in an assembly so that you dont have to manually go into each part and change the dimensions

i guess a better question is how do you do this...

"Reference the geometry in the layout sketch when you create each component. Use the layout sketch to define the component size, shape, and location within the assembly; make sure that each part references the layout sketch."

i found this on the solidworks help section. i do not know how to refrence my parts (2x4 rectangular tubing) to this "master" layout sketch.

thanks for all the help so far!

Here is a good method I have used.

1. Create a part file that contains all necessary interfaces. This is the skeleton part.
2. Insert this part into other parts. Brining over planes, axes... etc.
3. Create additional planes in new part relative to skeleton part's geometry
4. Model new part.
5. Repeat 2 and 3 with all parts
6. Insert all parts into assembly and mate (or fix) them to their common origins.

Update skeleton part if design needs to change.

-Dustin
Professional Engineer
Pretty good with SolidWorks

Line 1. above is regarding sketch entities and reference geometry (planes and axes). No actual model geometry.

-Dustin
Professional Engineer
Pretty good with SolidWorks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back