Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

(ldvd) local due vertical datum 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yasinengineerman

Mechanical
Apr 27, 2021
SA
Hi, I came across this term (ldvd) in an undersea aquarium report in which the level in sea were being described in terms of ldvd. Would appreciate a lot if someone could shed some light on this, I think it just means level of the points considering the sea level as 0 but I am not sure.. Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I dont know what that means.

The other problem will be that there are a number of zero sea level reference points. Mean, mean low, low. It can be very confusing. When you find out, make sure you get exactly which 0 reference they are using.

Does it mean the seabed?

Are the units positive or negative?

Are you sure about the abbreviation and its meaning?

If it is a datum then it should be referenced somewhere on the drawing or in the design.

Makes no sense to have another datum when most people use either LAT (lowest astronomical Tide) or some grid datum level used for onshore datums usually tied to a notional mid point sea level at a fixed location.

e.g. The Uk national grid datum is based on mean sea level as measured between 1915 to 1921 in Newlyn, cornwall.

I think the entire russian grid is based on something similar measured in the Baltic

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

The fact they mention 'local' make me wonder if it isn't national and instead related to a temporary benchmark or some such?

As indicated it must be clarified somewhere.

Thanks everyone.. The levels are given in negative and also showing dimensions from top of sea level.. So I guess the sea level is considered zero datum.. I ve never heard the term local duo vertical datum before.. So thought maybe its cuz I m not a marine engineer so reached out for clarification.. Thanks for the inputs guys...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back