Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lead Free Components

Status
Not open for further replies.

sordonyx

Electrical
Sep 16, 2003
US
We're in the process of converting our components to lead free. Does anybody know the best site regarding lead free components that can help me to start working with our part numbering system? Do I really have to create new parts numbers for all lead free components? I'll appreciate any help. thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would create new part numbers. The lead free reflow temperature is different that that of leaded components. It think that it is like 8 degrees hotter for lead free. Therefore, your reflow profiles will need to change to accomodate the new requirements. Once you define the new part numbers, you can check each of your assemblies to verify that you don't accidently have a mix of leaded and lead free components.

Just a suggestion...

Thanks Melone and Keremsencan for the tips. Looks like I have to create new part numbers (for our internal use). By the way Keremsencan,we manufacture power supplies and therefore all the components in our power supplies (resistors, caps, ICs, FETs, connectors, etc) should be changed to lead free components and I need to change our part numbers for all lead free components just to make sure they don't mix together as Melone suggested :) The site is very helpful. Thanks again!

Also check out - Europe's lead-free consortium. Creating new part numbers is a good idea, but suppliers are not always enabling that. For instance, Texas Instruments is removing lead from their packaging but are not changing their part numbers, claiming backward compatibility with existing processes (true) so changing yours doesn't make any sense...

With a 34C temperature difference for a true lead-free assembly process (so are TI's parts forward compatible?), component packaging and possibly other aspects of certain parts will have to change too. So look for another round of PCNs that focus on the epoxy/filler that's used for plastic packages since current packaging doesn't stand up to the higher heat. Maybe then TI will change part numbers...

By the way, it's not just lead that's the problem...be sure you understand the EU's complete requirements regarding shipments in to/within the EU as of July 1, 2006.

Mike

--
Mike Kirschner
Design Chain Associates, LLC

Hi Mike

Thanks for the info. Do lead free components have identification when they are already in the power supply? Like if lead free resistors have a different color body part same as with the capacitors. And how about ICs do they have different logo on the package itself to identify lead free?

There is currently no common and foolproof way to identify lead-free components by external inspection. You have to go back to the manufacturers' data sheets and very likely back to the manufacturers themselves to verify material composition of components.

But you raise an interesting prospect. Wouldn't it be nice if mfrs could put something like a "green" symbol on "green" parts? That's just too pie-in-the-sky, I'm afraid. It doesn't buy them anything and isn't useful for their marketing either (and admittedly is of little use by their OEM customers; and what use there would be is limited to between now and July 1, 2006). There are more important identifying marks that don't fit on current parts due to size and cost...SMT resistors/caps/SOT-23 size parts have minimal or no marks whatsoever - you can't even tell who made many 0603 or 0805 caps, or what the value is! Same goes for many parts, I'm sure, you're seeing in your power supply. So I hope you have the BOM for it - that's the place to start.

Mike

--
Mike Kirschner

Our company is going through the same thing. We have to add new components for the Lead-Free Process.

The way in which we are attacking this is to have a PBF (Pb Free) in our AVL. When we go to PBF we tell the vendors that they can only purchase PBF parts in our AVL.

Creating a new PN causes a load of havock since the design database must also be updated (1 Million parts!). By using the method above, only newer designs get updated (which is how the PBF standard is worded).

GBaron - so how do you specify in your AVL the ordering part number from the manufacturer if they don't change their ordering part number when they make it lead-free? Again, this is Texas Instruments' approach. Not all suppliers are taking that rather user-antagonistic approach, but it varies. Some are just putting a "lead free" notation on the shipping box...how is that tracked on the AVL?

Mike

--
Mike Kirschner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back