Lead-Screw and Linear-Rail lubrication alternatives 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Helepolis

Mechanical
Dec 13, 2015
IL
Hi all,

The back story in a nut shell, I need to give some well earned TLC to the Z axis assembly of my 3D resin printer (Phrozen Sonic Mega 8K).

I did a bit of digging and found that the manufacturer of the printer suggests two specific greases specifically for the lead-screw (there are linear-rails as well) (1) Shell_Alvania Grease S 2 or(2)REACH_151 EP Lithium Grease.
The linear-rails were not mentioned in terms of what lubricant to use, but after some additional research I have found that the manufacturers tech. support suggested (on reddit) this lubricant, Yamaha YAC 1013P Rotor Spindle Oil.
One additional something that caught my attention, was the specificity of the greases for that specific printer model (reference image below, from manufacturers site), and that using the wrong kind of lubricant can upset the proper performance of the printer (for example a lubricant with rust removal properties).
lubricant_chart_y59pu0.png

The manufacturer sells spare parts but not the lubricants, and after searching for the suggested greases I found only "commercial" quantities of the stuff (e.g. 5kg or more).
The lead-screw drives the printing platform, and on a printer this large the post-layer-exposure peeling forces are quite substantial (from what I understand, it can get up to ~590N axially), although there is zero info on the hardware used in the printer or the forces.

Since I have zero experience with lubrication, I would like to get help in figuring out what alternatives for the suggested greases (other manufacturers with same properties and similar intended use) I can find that can be bought in a small quantity like a tube or a spray can (e.g. no more than 1kg, preferably up to 500gr).

Thanks,
SD

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Many of these lubricants are available as small quantities as samples.
Often you need to contact the manufactures marketing department since these are often given away at trade shows.
It looks like your table really has two classes loading and lubricating.
The PTFE containing lubes are the lighter duty ones (and there are many beyond the two listed).
The greases are heavier duty lubricants.
You notice that none of these contain MoS or WS (which would both be black).
You could look up the specs on the Alvania and the Reach to see what the properties are.
I would expect any white lithium grease with similar properties to work the same way.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

There is nothing special about Shell Alvania S2 grease. It is a lithium complex grease with #2 consistency and ISO 220 viscosity. Look for similar specs to substitute.

The Reach 151 EP is the same but also has extreme pressure additives. EP greases are not recommended for ball bearing applications. My Google search indicates your machine is a ball screw so would advise against EP greases.

Thanks for the tips but ordering a sample isn't a possibility.

Thanks for the info, with the greases that basically what I did, matched the specs to another brand's grease.

Regarding the spindle oil (Yamaha YAC 1013P), I can't seem to find the specs for it and can't figure out if its suitable for the bearing holding the lead screw (adjacent to the driving motor).
Can't even figure out if this lubricant is for musical instruments or mechanical hardware.
If someone has a suggested alternative (this specific Yamaha oil cant be found in my country).

If the advertising doesn't give you enough information and a product datasheet isn't available, you can use the safety datasheet to do some reverse engineering. The Yamaha spindle oil is a PAO oil with corrosive inhibitor. 50cst viscosity.

Googling the terms PAO oil with R&O turns up rotary screw compressor oils. Phillips Syncon, Mobil Raurus, and Chevron Cetus should be acceptable substitutes. These are available in an ISO 46 viscosity which is very close.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back