Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LEED certification 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It really depends on your clients. It's a developing field and personally I think it's a fad at this point that may help you market yourself. The LEED AP test is completely rediculous

Ridiculous as in vague questions that make the exam more difficult than it should be. Most of the question formats are "pick the best 3 answers out of 6" where the first two choices are obvious, and the remaining 4 are off the wall.

My company wants everyone to go LEED, and the general consensus is that you cram for the exam, get nothing out of it, and rely on the manual if you happen to get a LEED project.

When you read that LEED book, you'll realize how much BS is in it.
The USBGC is a "for-profit" organization, i.e it is in business to make money, not to save the planet.
Their have a $350.00 test (highway robbery) for a one hour electronic test, just like a driver's license test, after which you get usually a PASS.
I know marketing folks who have no clue about architecture or engineering that are LEED accredited professionals.

It is chic to be LEED amongst non-engineers, amomgst regular folks, but LEED-AP has no value in the engineering community in my opinion.

The other higway robbery is the fees they charge for membership and for certification.

Unfortunately, Architects have put a lot value in it, so this thing gets recognition.

If you are working on mechanical aspects of an office skyscraper, than yes, LEED is important. But If you are working on a mid-rise multifamily residential project, the developer will end up paying 3 or 4 times more for that certificate. I agree with cry22 that it's a con job.

I also think it's a money making fad at this point.

Very true about USGBC being a "for profit" organization. I think that's one of the reasons they make the test so unnecessarily difficult. The more times you take it, the more times you have to pay their outrageous fees.

Agreed with all the other posters.

The LEED AP exam, at its core, is simply a test of rote memorization skills. The questions are non-technical, but vague and phrased in such a way that they are sometimes difficult to answer.

Our company's marketing person, with absolutely no engineering or architecture background, managed to pass it on his first attempt. An architect we work with even has a receptionist with LEED AP certification.

Something else worth noting: apparently, the USGBC will be revising the LEED AP certification program such that it will require continuing education credits.

My two cents worth: LEED AP will help your firm market you & you market yourself (ie: resume padding). If the marketing aspect is not important to you don't bother, it would not hurt to read the LEED literature -- SOME content of the LEED documentation may give you some ideas on making "greener" designs. Once you start in on LEED projects, you will find that most clients are interested only in greenwashing, and $$$ are still the bottom line.

I believe I understand what you guys are saying about LEED being more for marketing than actually putting to use. So here is my next question, the one that I'm most concerned with. Do you believe becoming LEED certified will be profitable for one's self?

Yeah, it's about marketing, bad marketing. Instead of putting "LEED" on your business card, you might as well say "My fee is high"

Use that money instead to upgrade your technology.

becoming LEED accrdited will only help if it is something that your clients, or your future clients are interested in. If it's not, use the money for something else!

If your firm is not involved or will not be involved in any LEED projects don't put forth the extra money. $400 bucks per test!! So you better pass the first time, don't underestimate the exam, there is alot of information.

FYI, government buildings (except schools) here in miami dade county require to be minimum LEED certified. Eventhough taking on a LEED project does not require you to be LEED certified, it does show credentials.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back