Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

lifting force in Lbs of rotational to vertical movement

Status
Not open for further replies.

72buickgs

Automotive
Aug 29, 2017
US
Hello, I am relatively new to the engineering forum so please permit me some lee-way if I am asking something someone has before.

How Do I determine the lifting force in lbs of a rotational to verticle movement? I am building a simple lift with a 1 to 4 gear ratio with a 30 HP electric motor at 800rpm. It will be utilizing something similar to a piston/crankshaft setup.

Example in the picture. How do I solve for (A) ?? I have not decided on lengths or measurements for this as of yet. Any formula or advice would be a huge help.

thanks for any help
force_kto31o.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi

Look in a mechnics book for a slider crank linkage, basically you have a torque generated by the motor and as the cranks turns the crank rod will generate a force in the conrod dependant on its position, which in turn will produce a vertical force on the piston.

“Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater.” Albert Einstein

Thanks! I appreciate it. I'm really just trying to determine if I have a powerful enough motor attached to the assembly. I'm trying to lift 500lbs continuously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back