Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lifting lug under compression

Status
Not open for further replies.

hr253

Structural
Jul 22, 2023
IN
Hi,
This is my first post. I have come across a road block. Recently, I ran into a design requirement where I am required to design a lifting lug for compression. I haven't really come across a case till date where in the lug is designed for compression. I would really appreciate it someone could shed some light on this. Please check the image for a little more clarity.

Best Regards,
HR

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=dc131389-721f-4322-a566-b1198bdc386c&file=Capture.JPG
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi hr253

Have a look at this link, your lifting lug is subject to similar loading, you can treat your lug in the same way,the only difference is the load at 90 degrees to the weld run is in the opposite direction to what you are used to.

“Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater.” Albert Einstein

look into Whitmore width to determine buckling capacity...

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

well this is not really a lug in compression, but a lug with an inclined load ... the load has two components, one causing compression, the other causing bending (and shear)

if I was stressing the lug, I'd apply the load in the "traditional" lug direction (to calc lug width and thickness and pin dia) ... since I've got solutions for this and it is conservative (for this part of the geometry). If I was looking at the attmt of the red flange to the yellow support structure, I'd plan on 4 bolts (you might use welds, not my wheelhouse). the fasteners will see shear and tension/compression ... simple to calc from the applied load. I'd make sure that the fasteners in tension did not gap under load (which designs their preload) ... ie preload > applied tension. If I was stressing the red fttg near the base, the local loads are easy to calc.

"Hoffen wir mal, dass alles gut geht !"
General Paulus, Nov 1942, outside Stalingrad after the launch of Operation Uranus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back