Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Lighting fixture and sprinkler heads

Status
Not open for further replies.

RMERMP

Mechanical
Feb 22, 2016
PH
Im trying hard to find a code that states that lighting fixture is considered as an obstruction to our sprinkler. Is there any code state that? Please direct me.thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

13 or 13r?
Basically follow the obstruction rules if there is a question

Either beams, walls from ceilings, walls from floors whatever the obstruction is, plus the four inch rule

That's not always true CDAFD. It depends on the edition of NFPA 13 and 13R. Be respectful that different editions of both standards have varying requirements. It also depends on the sprinkler's listing.

That's the problem with this website. Many people want one answer to fit all questions.

Exactly...are you talking surface mounted lights or suspended lights? Are you talking standard spray sprinklers, Ex Cov, Residential or ESFR? Each of these gives a vastly different answer. What standard are you referencing? That will provide a different answer as well.

Rarely is it one size fits all in this industry.

Travis Mack
MFP Design, LLC
"Follow" us at

For the lights, i can consider it surface mounted since it is mounted on a electrical tray like support with the fans and other utilities. im talking about standard spray sprinkler (pendent type sprinkler), im reading NFPA 13. i have read already about ESFR and CMSA it was stated that light are considered as obstruction. but im asking about light hazard application only. thanks you for your answers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back