Limiting Hole to Hole Size Variation

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCReynolds79

Automotive
Sep 6, 2007
GB
Hi all,

Numbers of holes , equally spaced on a PCD. The size of the holes can be quite loose, say, +/- 0.2mm. But what I am trying to think of is a way to control the variation of hole sizes. In sentence speak, Holes can be +/-0.2 but each hole must be within 0.05 of each other.

e.g. dia 10 +/- holes specified gives a hole size target of 9.8-10.2. Lets say the first hole we make is 9.9. I want to ensure/control/specify that all other holes in the pattern must be within +/-0.05 of first hole. So all other holes must now lie within range 9.85-9.95.

Its like I want a composite tolerance on the hole size....

Thanks!

Regards,

Jon Reynolds

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

To replace the average with the value of one particular hole, call out that hole with the normal dimension i.e. DIA 10+/-0.2 (my personal preference would be the limit dimension). Make that hole datum G.

Change the note to:

6 NOMINAL VALUE OF DIA N IS TO BE THE MEASURED VALUE OF DATUM G.

Peter Stockhausen
Designer / Checker

axym said:
Interesting thread. Overall, I would say that the OP's requirement for "consistency of hole size" would best be specified in the form of a note.

The OP's requirement is weird. I cannot see why I would do this. I cannot see why the standard has to cope with it, since a note will work. The more esoteric stuff you add to the standard, the more likely it is that people will not understand it.

Dynamic profile sounds like a useful concept. I can see myself using it five or ten years from now, when the next Y14.5[ ]update comes out, and a reasonable number of fabricators and inspectors have learned about it. I almost missed the symbol when I first inspected 11[‑]37.

--
JHG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back