Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linked body not moving with parent body 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich944

Mechanical
Feb 8, 2007
GB
Hi all,

I am on NX 7.5.

I have an assembly part, for simplicity lets say there are 2 components. A shaft with a flat, going through a block with a hole. There is an assembly operation needed in which a hole needs to be drilled through the block and shaft on assy. Therefore I created a wave linked bodies of the shaft and block allowing me to create a hole going through both components.

Also the shaft needs to be shown in 2 positions rotated along its axis, lets say flat horizontal and flat vertical. So I create 2 arrangements and arrangement specific assembly contraints (2 different angles of the flat).

My problem is that when I toggle between the two arrangemnts the shaft component rotates but the linked body I made from the shaft does not. How can I make the linked body move with the body its linked to?

Regards,

Rich

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

if that does not help, maybe your assembly load options are set not to load all assembly pars in full. to resolve that just go to top assembly in assembly navigator, right click, when menu show click on "select assembly" then right click again and click on "open" then select "component fully" this will make linked part real time update-able.

As a double check I tried to recreate this on another assy, this time changing the distance of one block to another, making the assy containts arrangement specific. Sure enough, when I toggle between the arrangements the linked body gets left behind in its original position. Can someone confirm if what I want is possible?

Cheers

As a double check I tried to recreate this on another assy, this time changing the distance of one block to another, making the assy containts arrangement specific. Sure enough, when I toggle between the arrangements the linked body gets left behind in its original position.

Can someone confirm if what I want is possible?

Cheers

Are you sure that your link is not a Position Independent Linked Object - PILO?

This will cause the geometry to update, but not position when the parent is edited. These are great for linking parts into tooling designs, but are not good for system designs where parts are expected to react upon edit.

I gave it a quick try, but negative. I don't know if it is supposed to work or not.
I did therefore try using the assembly cut instead, ( sounds like your case could use this option ) and it does update.
Regards,
Tomas

Thanks for all your comments, I managed to get what I wanted by using assembly cut, I was not aware of this as we have always been told to use wavelinked bodies in these situations.

The 'Cut Assembly' opersation was specifically designed for this sort of task, adding a modeling feature which usually removes material, which represents a secondary manufacturing oprations like drilling holes at assembly where it would be nearly impossible to know exactly where the holes would be if you tried to manufacture the part with the holes already there. This function is actually using something closer to 'Promotions' than WAVE Linking.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back