Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

liquid circulation vacuum pump

Status
Not open for further replies.

byl

Chemical
Oct 13, 2003
IE
We are using liquid ring vacuum pump to create vacuum in few reactor. In order to reduce the water consumption, we recycle the water. The problem we have is that solvent, beiong soluble in water, accumulate in the water. This can build up to 40%.
I was wondering if there was any way of replacing water by another liquid for which the solubilty of solvent will be very low.
I heard about using H2SO4 (no corrrosion if concentrate) but we will have water coming from the reactors, therefor it will turn into a very corrosive solution.

Does any one got a solution? We don't want to change to dry vacuum pump (cost).

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Our problem rely on the fact we use lot of different solvents:
IPA, MeOH, IMS, Hexane, Toluene, Heptane, Dichloromethane, Xylene, Acetone, Butanol, Ethyl acetate, THF.
That's only to name the most commonly used.

I read about using oil, but i am afraid of the mixture with water (bad memories of blowing a head gasket on my car!)

it is not trap because at very low pressure (30mmbar), the boiling point of the solvent are very low. We only have cooling capacity to go down to -10degC. As well as this there is some air entry in the system and nitrogen is often blow in the reactor for safety reason which create some kind of a blanket in the heat exchanger reducing dramaticaly is efficiency

We have 8 reactors on the system, with capacity between 2500L and 5000L. The vacuum required is 30mbar.

I was tempting by the solution with the oil, but I am a bit afraid that it might be decompose by some solvent (THF in particular).

I agree with Toricelli that a dry vacuum pump is worthwhile to look at for this application. I've had good experience with Busch and Edwards among the suppliers out there.

I reread your initial question and missed the part about not picking the dry vacuum pump because of cost. I recommend you take a look at the life time cost of the vacuum pump. It sounds like the cost of a modified liquid ring system may approach that of using the dry pump in the first place. Also the cost of handling solvent contaminated fluid may quickly overwhelm the initial capital savings.

I totally agree with you all, the dry vacuum pump is the solution. After a rough estimate, I get a pay back time of 3 1/2 year. The only problemn is that the actual economical situation only allows us to make saving but no real investment.
Does anyone know second hand dealer with good prices on dry vacuum pump??
Thanks all of you anyway!

Where are you (geographical area)? and tell us if you like the suction capacity (or the electrical power installed for the existing liquid ring vacuum pump).

Graham now has a good hook and claw dry vacuum pump that is designed so that it can start up completely flooded. Give them a call.

A 80-100 m³/h dry vacuum pump will do the job. A second-hand pump - or a new set (pump, condenser, flame arrestors, frequency converter) from Korea, would be very unexpensive but the ATEX certification could be a real challenge. I would prefer a screw- than a claw-pump but important for your solvent is the T4-certification.
hope it helps, regards
Torricelli

Dry running vacuum pumps bought new for installation into an ATEX regulated plant will be complex as the manufacturers response to ATEX has included the installation of many new temperature switches & pressure switches. These will need to be incorporated into a shutdown system meeting IEC 61508, althought the SIL might be as low as 1, depending on your risk profile.
Overall I would suggest to go for a dry system as the lifetime cost will be less.

If you wanted to stay with liquid ring and water seal fluid, would you be interested in recovering the solvent to reuse the water and even reuse the solvent. This way nothing is wasted. We have designed many types of evaporative recovery systems, using falling film, columns, or wiped film technology.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back