Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LNG Design Guidelines 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GSEngineer

Structural
Jun 23, 2010
US
I am writing a spec for a geotech report and I'd like to reference the following: "Seismic Design Guidelines and Data Submittal Requirements for LNG Facilities - Draft" This document is dated 2007. I was wondering if this has since become an official document or is it still in the draft phase? Does anyone know?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In the "Executive Summary" of the draft version, it says this document replaces an NBSIR 84-2833, which in turn is referenced in 18 CFR 380.12(h)(5). In that CFR, it says the NBSIR document "may be obtained from the Commission staff". It would seem that commission staff would be the ones to contact for the correct document, whether still the older NBSIR document or the newer replacement. (The latest CFR online, as of April 2010, still references the older document.)

The 2007 Guidelines do indeed replace and update the 1984 NBSIR document (which the FERC regs still cite). Although the later guidelines have not yet been codified into the FERC regs, the agency has been applying them since 2007 as a condition to all LNG authorizations.

One should note however that the Dept. of Transportation regs upon which the 2007 FERC Guidelines are based (49 CFR 193.2101) has since adopted the 2006 version of the NFPA-59A Seismic Design Guidelines. All of the specified information and analyses referenced in the 2007 FERC document are still required for FERC staff review. The only difference is really in how SSE/MCE/and OBE are defined.

Sorry if this is late for you. I just joined the forum.
I'm an author of the FERC Guidelines; retired now after 35 years on FERC staff!:)
Happy to help if I can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back