Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Load Combination for Deck directly below covered pitched Roof.

Status
Not open for further replies.

shrestha_r

Structural
Jan 15, 2024
NP
Hello everyone! I am working on a design of outdoor deck and roof snow in a quite high snow region (GSL~97psf). I have designed the roof for RSL which is straightforward. However, I am currently stuck on the deck members design directly below the roof. Should I consider whole or certain % of snow load(RSL considering deck as flat roof) or should I consider live load assuming that not much snow accumulates in deck since it is fully covered(roof overhangs 2ft on all sides)? I am concerned since the snow load is quite high and deck is 17ft above ground.
Will the full snow load accumulate on deck with snow drifting and all. Please give me your advice on how I should approach these guys. I have attached a render image of the project below.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=9f4225b0-d2b6-472d-b27d-7f86c603c5d4&file=RenderIMG.png
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

@ shrestha_r (Structural),

I do not have any idea for the applicable codes for snow loading at your region . When you look ASCE 7-16 ;
the flat roof snow load will be applied over a portion of that flooring level and shall extend from the
upwind edge of the flooring a horizontal distance found with 45 degree assumption.
The snip showing the concept from ASCE 7-16,

OPEN_FRAME_SCHNEE_LAST_avuxjb.jpg

Use it up, wear it out;
Make it do, or do without.

NEW ENGLAND MAXIM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back