Load control Vs. displacement control

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mohamedsayed

Civil/Environmental
Apr 16, 2013
US
Hello
For Elastic-perfect plastic material or strain softening material, I notice that if i apply load more than the yield limit, the model diverges, while when i apply load through displacement control, the model converges, although the displacement is big.

So my question is why load control is usually associated with divergence, I guess when the applied load exceed the yield limit and since the material behavior is elastic-perfect plastic or strain softening , the stiffness matrix becomes negative or it might have singularity.

Please correct me if i am wrong.

i have another question, how can i use load control for elastic-perfect plastic or strain softening material, where the load is more than yield limit.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In general, there is plenty of information available regarding this specific topic on the internet. If you are a member of LinkedIn, there was a recent thread covering this in the ABAQUS user group. Bottomline: You should use a Riks (displacement based) solver. Read the documentation for more.

Are you new to this forum? If so, please read these FAQ:

You can apply prescribed displacement(s), increasing them by small time-increments. Monitor the resulting reaktion forces and evaluate the solution when the forces reach the desired value(s).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back