Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

load on cabinet hinges 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MBGraham

Chemical
Mar 9, 2021
CA
We have new cabinet doors. They are quite wide and somewhat vulnerable. I am thinking about adding a brace to limit the opening to 90deg (hinges go to 105deg.

It's been a long time since I did any structural engineering! What I would like to see, is a load diagram for situation shown in drawing below. And in particular the loading on the main hinge aat C.

- 10lb load denoted is the pushing force on the outer edge of the door
- Blue Line is the door
- Orange line is the cabinet frame
- Green line is wire restraint
- B,C&D are hinged points. The main door hinges are at C

Thanks
dor_retraint_forces_dtrqn9.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Interesting discussion for a 'hobby project'... this is engineering stuff IMHO. [pipe]

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Do you feel any better?

-Dik

3DDave said: "There are many hinge designs that won't allow the door to pry the hinge loose from the frame. This isn't one of them."

I don't know if there are many concealed face-front hinges that would work. But there are a few. You have alluded to the real problem. If the doors would open 170 or 180 deg, then there would be little chance of a force being applied that would break the frame.

I will look to see if I can find such a hinge that can be retrofitted into the same Blum Compact 38N drill pattern.

OK, while looking realized that a hinge that opens 180deg or even 170deg will also have to move outwards sufficiently to allow the door to clear the adjacent 1" thick door. Don't see any cabinet type hinges that can do that.

I've found a cabinet hinge in our kitchen that's a 6 bar linkage, which allows 170 deg rotation and some outwards translation. It's a real beauty.
Made by blum, unsure of p/n.
Doors are about .5" thk.

NG2020 said: "I've found a cabinet hinge in our kitchen that's a 6 bar linkage, which allows 170 deg rotation and some outwards translation. It's a real beauty.
Made by blum, unsure of p/n.
Doors are about .5" thk."

I have seen that type of hinge. Not common on household cabinets. They are an interesting design, but quite expensive! Picture of that type below. I didn't find any Euro style concealed hinges that work on a face-front cabinet that move outwards to clear the adjacent door and open ~170deg.

Looks like I am back to adding either a solid or wire restraint. If nothing else will 'reduce' chance of damage when someone open the doors a little to aggressively! Restraints I have looked at are rated for 10KG or 22lb. Door width is actually 20" and anchor points for restraint 7" both ways (45deg). Allowable load at edge of door would then be 22*sin45*7/20 = 5.4lb. Not much, but better than nothing ;)
Thanks for the input.

concealed_hinge_cprscd.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back