Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Local Flange Bending due to Weld Along Flange

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColinPearson

Petroleum
May 1, 2011
US
I've got a piece of equipment that I need to suspend from a spring hanger that pins to lugs on an existing W12x53. The beams that frame in one end of this W12 conflict with the equipment during installation, so I am proposing to remove them and install a temporary beam directly above and parallel with this W12. The W12 top flange of the W12 would then be welded to the bottom flange of the temp beam.

I am somewhat familiar with prying calculations and familiar with local flange yielding due to point loads on a flange (as from a beam trolley). However, I do not know how to deal with local flange yielding in this situation.

Any thoughts on the matter folks?

Particulars are:
-W12x53 @ 39" long, A992, spring hanger lug at the midspan
-About 45 kip load
-The way the flanges are coped to frame into other steel, I can get 17" of weld along each side. The weld group is plenty good for the load. (Flange on the W12 is 0.575" so a sizable fillet is possible, though not necessary).

THANKS!!!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yep kingnero, I'm absolutely requiring stiffeners though the design I've ended up with is a bit different now than the sketch. I really just got to thinking on this and wanted to better understand what would be going on in this situation. I appreciate the comments though, this is an excellent resource.

That was my first thought to bolt the thing and check the prying but most of our mag drills are broken at he moment, so the question came up while considering the welded alternative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back