Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Lock excel formulas from changing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willyb9

Computer
Oct 31, 2002
US
I need a way to lock excel formulas from changing when I either delete or move the cells the formulas are referencing. Using the absolute reference ($ sign) does not lock the formula from changing when the cell it references changes. It will keep is constant if you copy or move the formula.

There my be other solutions that I am open to. The problem I am trying to solve is I want to keep a rolling window of about 100 columns on one sheet and draw summary data on another sheet. So what I intend to do with each update is delete a column from the end and insert a new one at the beginnning keeping the formulas on in place on the summary sheet.

Thanks for your help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What I've done is do the summary in a different workbook, with linked data, that is closed when I update the table. Close the table book and open the sumary book. The links will still be intact.

Willyb9:

The following looks to work to me:

1) Don't move the source data - as you observed the formulas will update.

2) Copy the entire range of source data. Paste the entire range of source data (1) column to the right.

3) Enter your new data in the first column.

4) Delete the last column of data.

This should work. The formulas will remain intact and unchanged, your old data will roll to the left and new data will be inserted.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back