Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lockout Tagout Question 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rexfire

Industrial
Jul 1, 2011
US
I was wondering if this is OK to do. We have saws were lets say for example 6 employees are capable of changing the saw blade so they all would be authorized for LOTO. Do you need to have all 6 have individual locks, or could you have one lock for the saw and have 6 different tags which identify the person changing the saw blade. So, when an employee goes to change a saw blade they would get the lock and then place there tag on the lock while they are changing the blade.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Call OSHA - they are very helpful with these kinds of things. Just WRITE down the date and WHO you talked to plus their phone number!!!!!!!!

If it was me - I would want specific locks on all saws.... just makes sense to me.

There are just to many dummies out there ... and by the way WHAT does a lock cost versus a hand or arm????????

If you have 6 people capable of "running" the saw, then you have 5people who will, at some time, turn the saw on while the 6th person is changing the sawblade.

You need 1x lock ACTUALLY ON the saw blade switch.

You don't need 6x locks to keep the thing from being turned on.

We have maybe 5 or 6 locks in our whole building. If you lock something out you initial the tag and keep the key with you. All employees know not to touch it without asking the person who's name is on the tag.

Lock out/tag out is not really about making 100% sure no one can unlock something. Its about training people to see a lock and know the dangers.

Good advice from MiketheEngineer regarding calling OSHA.

The scenario you described should be fine. The isolation lock can be retained close by the isolating switch on a chain or lanyard along with a Danger Tag.

If more than one worker is involved in the blade change, then each one should add their own personal isolation lock (unique key), as well as the primary isolation padlock. This can be done either with a lockout hasp or group lock box.

Check the link for a technical article on Group Lockout.

Beware the danger of legal compliance versus practical common sense. Sometimes they don't align in workplace safety. Being compliant may lull you in to a false sense of security that you are working safely. However if you apply a robust lockout procedure based on risk assessment and safe system of work, chances are you will be 'compliant'.

Compliance cannot always take into account the intricacies of the working application, which a risk assessment should identify.

http://www.totallockout.com/WebRoot/BT3/Shops/BT4166/MediaGallery/Documents/TechnicalArticles/Technical_Article_-_Group_Lockout.pdf
Yep -- everybody that touches the saw is required to hang a personal lock for the duration of their work. OSHA mandatory.

BTW, excellent article totallockout

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back